wireless router, low signal strength

rambus 22:45 13 Jun 06

have installed a netgear wireless router and am getting a poor signal strength on my laptop, desktop which is connected via a ethernet cable is good, any ideas to improve laptop, thanks

Mark McC 22:55 13 Jun 06

i think you should post this in the networking forums... no worries i think i have solved your problem

i dont know much about netgear routers but i had the same problem with a linksys one and it was my neighbour's fault because he got a new garage door with a remote and it was interfearing with my internet so i changed the channel and the problem vanished!!!

try that

Mark

woodchip 23:01 13 Jun 06

You should not have any problems if these are connected with strait Ethernet cables. All comps should be the same. Only using twisted pair will it sloe it down, comps Daisy chained to router

terryf 23:12 13 Jun 06

woodchip, I think rambus is getting poor wireless signal to his laptop, desktop is ok because it is wired? I don't know the solution but I had problems in my house setting up a wireless TV repeater because the walls are built from breeze blocks that have some sort of mineral in them that absorbs or reduces wireless device signals, The same model worked fine in my sons more modern house.

ade.h 23:45 13 Jun 06

Positioning or interference. Examine both; they are both easy to fix with some experimentation and lateral thinking. And yes, this belonged in Networking, since it's about networking.

woodchip 00:06 14 Jun 06

You can get a repeater

woodchip 00:09 14 Jun 06

You can get a repeater Like this click here

rambus 20:03 14 Jun 06

thanks for your responce to my problem. router is in cloak cubboard in hall, house pre war, all internal walls of brick. if i take laptop into hall i get a very good signal,upstairs very poor and in back of house very low. woodchip thanks for link but i could not see a "repeater" would this fix my problem, thanks again.

woodchip 20:29 14 Jun 06

That's what it says.

I use a 3Com Wireless Firewall Modem Router. it's upstairs near my two desktops one a Win98se and one a XP comp both Ethernet wired to router then I can take my XP Laptop down stairs It's a big house with lots of solid 9inch walls but works ok using a 3Com wireless Dongle. I think your problem is it's down stairs you should move it up then Encrypt it on the Wireless settings so no one can use you connection, as when it is higher up then the signal will reach further

rambus 22:04 14 Jun 06

thanks woodchip i will try what you recommend at the weekend, and see what results i get, thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos