Wireless Router for laptop

DJ-Garry 20:07 26 Nov 06

I am concidering getting an Acer laptop from ebuyer click here and when you click on the specifications tab it lists that it has a Wireless NIC Acer InviLink 802.11b/g. I do not have any wireless stuff at the moment, just a Telewest broadband modem runnig into onboard NIC card in my desktop XP Pro machine. Do I just need to get Wireless router such as this one click here for £27.26 from ebuyer? I don't think it comes with a dongle or pcmia card but the laptop has that built in i think????? If this will do the job, will it let the laptop access at the full 4Meg broadband speed I have and will the desktop still run at 4meg being plugged into the Built-in 4 ports Fast Ethernet switch: 10/100Mbps MDI/MDIX auto-sensing?
Thanks guys, Garry.

Taff™ 22:21 26 Nov 06

All seems OK to me as far as the hardware goes. 4 Meg speed might be reduced over the wireless element though. It tends to fluctuate all the time but I don`t personally think it will cause you any great concern unless you`re gaming.

Strawballs 22:31 26 Nov 06

That will be fine just make sure that you activate the WPA encryption will make your network safe from other people in the area or driving around with laptop.
click here

De Marcus™ 22:42 26 Nov 06

I'm a tad confused, the link states that it can share an adsl and cable connection, yet it's under the 'ADSL / Broadband Modem / Routers' category.

Surely it can't be both.

woodchip 22:57 26 Nov 06

If you read the Ebuyer link it say's to Connect to a Brodband or Cable Modem.

De Marcus™ 23:02 26 Nov 06

Blunt as ever!

Not being funny (perhaps my eyes are) but I can't see that anywhere?

Specsavers here I come...

De Marcus™ 23:04 26 Nov 06

Never mind, just found it.

Needless to say the first paragraph is misleading.

woodchip 23:08 26 Nov 06

Forgive me for being blunt.I think its due to coming from Mining community, Where you don't mince words

De Marcus™ 23:11 26 Nov 06

Don't worry lol, I can be just as blunt!

I think I will take a trip to specsavers anyhow :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…