wireless router hard wire problem

nhojnhoj35 13:35 22 May 06

I put a Belkin wireless router in this weekend (model as recommended from this site!)

The wireless connection to my laptop is fine but my main pc which is hardwired is very erratic.
For large parts of the day it is fine then suddenly it either stops working entirely or goes at the speed of a dial up modem connection.

if i turn off and reboot the pc it seems to go ok for a while again.

if i look in the belkin status page at 192.168.2.1 then i occassionaly see a `no connection` message. if i reconnect then it says `connected` but it doesnt make any difference to the performance.

i'm on pipex and have used a thomson speedtouch adsl modem for two years and can count on one hand the number of times i had problems with that set up so it is definately related to the belkin modem.

any help would be gratefully received. i intend to ring the helpline at some stage but wondered if anyone mght have a simple suggestion.

ghm101 13:44 22 May 06

Possibley there is a fault with the Belkin but I would check out the network card in your PC first, to my way of thinking it is more likely this is dodgy, not seated correctly, or something.

Do you have another pc that you can connect to the router? if that works well then the router won't be the prime suspect.

ghm101 13:44 22 May 06

Possibley there is a fault with the Belkin but I would check out the network card in your PC first, to my way of thinking it is more likely this is dodgy, not seated correctly, or something.

Do you have another pc that you can connect to the router? if that works well then the router won't be the prime suspect.

ghm101 13:45 22 May 06

Sorry for the double post, slip of the mouse :)

ade.h 15:30 22 May 06

What's your firmware revision? You can find this from the stats in the config UI if you don't already know it.

nhojnhoj35 22:25 22 May 06

hi, having looked again. what is actually happening is that the modem is disconnecting itself, saying `no connection`.

sometimes simply clicking connect cures the problem, other times it doesnt, even though it says `connected`

ghm101 10:15 23 May 06

I have had this in the past with other routers, - intermittant connection, connection dropping etc.

Your first port of call is to visit Belkins UK website and get the latest firmware for your specific router.

Upgrade that firmware, and things should improve. In my experience this resolved this type of issue.

I do not have personal experience of your router but check your manuals or online for the firmware upgrade proceedure.

Hopefully you can
-back up all your routers' settings to a file, -install latest firmware (which often resets those settings).
-Then restore your backed up settings and you will be good to go.

If backing up is not an option write the stuff down or take screen shots, call your ISP if you get stuck.

ghm101 10:19 23 May 06

Another thought - After you upgrade your firmware, of if your router is already on the latest version, you could look on your ISPs website or call them to check you have optimum settings for them, maybe one of those is giving you issues

nhojnhoj35 15:02 23 May 06

thanks for that! i checked the firmware and it is using the latest version. the settings were so called `pipex` settings.
i will check with them though!

ade.h 15:14 23 May 06

I asked yesterday about your firmware revision because it is possible that you may need to roll it back. Without knowing your exact model number and variant (which you haven't mentioned) I can't know whether it may be affected by a firmware bug. There is one revision that has been buggy.

nhojnhoj35 15:56 23 May 06

Hi ade.h Sorry! I didnt notice it was you who posted. I will check the firmware version this evening.
I spoke to Pipex this afternoon and they gave me a few settings to check.
Thanks for all assistance

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…