wireless router failed after virus

paulenorman 15:29 20 Oct 09

I have a Packard Bell laptop running Windows XP and a Ralink wireless card. My provider is Sky, with a Sky router. Following a virus alert last Sunday I downloaded some free antivirus software but couldn't register it as I could no longer connect to the Internet. Sky help got me running again with the Ethernet cable attached but no wireless. They were unable to fix the wireless problem and suggested it was a hardware failuer, i.e. the wireless card. The ethernet connection is slow but usable. The router works fine according to device manager, but I have a red cross on the wireless connection. We used IPCONFIG/RELEASE and /RENEW to get the broadband up and running again. I have been using the Sky router for two years with no problems.

Ashrich 17:03 20 Oct 09

Dare I ask what the virus alert was , and who from , and also what did you download ?

This all sounds dead dodgy to me .....

Ashley

paulenorman 15:22 21 Oct 09

Not sure about the exact virus. For about an hour I got popups bottom right saying I had various trojans and worms, so I went out and bought Norton AntiVirus, got Sky to connect me via my ethernet cable, registered Norton and ran it, cleaned up the laptop. I also used Ashampoo Winoptimiser and cleaned up the laptop generally. Still no wireless, but no more trojan/worm messages. My laptop cannot see any wireless networks, altho my neighbours either side both have wireless. This prompted Sky to suggest my problem was hardware, presumably the wireless card, although device manager says it is working. I live miles from any wireless cafes etc., so can't take laptop to see if it picks anything up anywhere else - I suspect not. I have read of other people losing wireless following viruses, but no one has yet replied with a solution. I wondered if a USB wireless card would solve the problem - very cheap (£2.99+£3.00 postage), but is there any way of testing the wireless card before any further expenditure? There is software called regcure which says I still have 800 errors but you have to buy it to fix the problems and don't want to spend any more money if it's not going to fix problem...

paulenorman 15:51 21 Oct 09

All of a sudden, I can see my neighbour's BT Homehub wireless network, although my wireless icon in system tray still has a red cross...??? Refreshing wireless networks list fails to find my Sky wireless network

TonyM 20:11 22 Oct 09

Sounds like you have fallen for the increasingly common "Spware Scam" see:

click here

It is VERY unlikely that any hardware damage has occurred, and with a bit of knowledge and perserverance it should bepossible to fix all the problems you are having - for the wireless I would suggest deleting the wireless adapter in Device Manager and let the laptop detect it again, and then load the latest drivers for it.

Another option, if you have all your data backed up and the necessary disks to hand, I would suggest a clean reinstall/factory settigns restore of the laptop to clear everything out.

Ashrich 21:31 22 Oct 09

Sorry for the late reply , Ok , double click on the wireless adapter icon on the task bar , select " view wireless network " then , on the left hand side look for " manage wireless networks " , click on that and delete your routers wireless profile , ok your way back to the desktop and try scanning for networks again , also TonyM's advice about deleting the wireless adapter from device manager and rebooting is sound , try that as first .

Another thing to do is to download the free version of Malwarebytes Antimalware , load it , update it and run it , it may well pick up any other nasties left behind .

Ashley

paulenorman 15:25 23 Oct 09

Buried deeo inside the laptop we found my Sky network with an exclamation mark against it. We removed it then reinstalled it and got the wireless up and running again. Everything fine, but I do believe it was a spyware problem that caused it. Thanks to everyone for all their help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5