Wireless Router to Ethernet Cable?

Jimbobsn 06:42 01 Jul 07

I have a wireless router and adaptor, I have given up with the adaptor and I want to know if I can link my 2nd PC to my wireless router via a ethernet cable?
Also if I can what do I have to do with regards to configuration, software, setting etc?
I am over 65 and not up with all the jargon you yougsters use, so any help in idiot form please.

Jimbob

User-1159794 06:45 01 Jul 07

model of your router please Jimbobsn.

User-1159794 09:16 01 Jul 07

Thanks for the information,but sending it via the yellow envelope unless invited, is generally frowned upon.
Also no one else knows the answer to my question so cannot offer you specific help with your router.

The router model is Netgear DG834G Wireless Router.

One other point,It would probably been wiser to have posted your problem in the Networking forum.

User-1159794 09:58 01 Jul 07

Had a look at your router manual and there should be no problem using a cable to your pc.

I have three pc linked this way on my wireless router.Not the same model as yours though.

Jimbobsn 17:39 01 Jul 07

Thanks for that, sorry about my last reply, I am new at all this and it takes me a while to get to know how things work.

Thanks again.

howard64 18:44 01 Jul 07

I have the same netgear router it came with the usb dongle. It is very easy to set up and reliable. If you have any specific probs I will see if I can help you. I found that the wireless dongle worked fine within about 10m [30 feet] but lost the signal over that length. My pcs are connected by ethernet cable.

As long as the router had an ethernet port then you should be fine.

Plug the ethernet cable into the router and the other end into the PC. In the bottom right of your screen (in the taskbar next to the clock) should be two flashing computers.

If you double click on these icons, it should show your wired connection to your router. If you click on the support tab it should say 'Assigned by DHCP'.

To get the Internet working you may have to adjust some settings of the router in your browser. Your manual should guide you through that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac