Wireless Router Cant get to Internet

Fiona Treanor 18:52 04 Jan 08

Windows XP sp2 ISP - Virgin trying to install ZyXel Router using either wireless or eithernet cable. System can talk to router and access the various settings but it will not go out to internet. Having spent a day on this trying various settings I have not been able to have any success. It did work initially when I added a USB wireless plug in but once I added the security key it stopped working.

Any help very much appreciated

pchelper001 18:58 04 Jan 08

have you tried ringing virgin to tell them that you have a new router, and for them to check the settings up their end?

dan** 19:01 04 Jan 08

Have you added the security key to your computers connection?

i.e.

Right click the WiFi icon and view available networks. Select yours and pick connect. Then add the security key in both top and bottom boxes. The computer should now try to connect.

T0SH 19:30 04 Jan 08

Router encryption works in different ways in different routers some come with a label on the underside with printed WEP and or WPA keys that you type in when prompted during the first attempt to connect a Wireless client machine thats the easy way

Other Routers will prompt you when you turn on wireless security encryption to input a Pass Phrase this will generate and display a table of keys one of these keys is what you need to enter into the client when prompted

One very common mistake at the client end is to try using the Pass Phrase you entered into the Router

There may be other methods but generally a little time reading the manual will help

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…