Wireless Router....and the cables?

moises 23:01 03 Dec 04

I got an Adsl wireless router and I confused about the cables. There is a cable to connect a PC to the modem. The question is : If this is a wireless router what is the purposse of this cable.?

Technotiger 23:12 03 Dec 04

Hi, I don't actually know about Routers but, I would assume that the cable is to connect router to Ethernet pci Card in pc and then to connect wirelessly to other pc's. lol

Charence 23:37 03 Dec 04

Well, its there because sometimes networks are not JUST wireless, you can get networks with a bit of both, which is why the cable socket is also available for you to plug a switch/hub into it for your wired network. Firmware Updates and other maintenance for the router are also usually carried out by using a computer connected via cable because the wireless network may not function while you are setting it up, so a wired connection would be used.

Charence

BirinciMurat 23:39 03 Dec 04

Hi,
Just a thought.. the cable is poss to connect the wireless router to your modem.. (which in turn connects to the ADSL line, I guess).. You should have a wireless card in your PC (or even PCS if you're running a home network) and the router will talk to the card in your PC and pass on all the data via the modem onto the Internet..
At least, I think that's how it is supposed to work.. Hope this helps.
BirinciMurat

Forum Editor 23:51 03 Dec 04

you must configure the modem's firmware before you can use the router - this enables the router to make the connection with your ISP automatically, each time it's booted. The modem will submit your username/password combination for you, but you must connect it to your PC and download the information to it first. The lead that's supplied with the router plugs into your PC's USB port, and there will be an IP address which you enter into your browser's address bar. This will display an HTML page with fields into which you enter the required details.

You'll only have to do this once, and then you may disconnect the cable link between router and computer.

Spark6 23:54 03 Dec 04

No instructions or info with the router?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…