Wireless Router advice please

EFC1878 12:32 16 Nov 08

I have previously set up my daughter with a Belkin USB adapter whihc allowed her to piggy back on my broadband connection - but only when my machine was on [that way I had some control over how long / when she wa sonline]

Not only did it need both machines to be ion but it was also a bit flaky.

I do not know too much about wireless router but I beleive that I could get one that connects to her machine in her room and will pic up my broadband whether or not my machine is on or connected. Is this true?

Could anybody advise on a good VFM router to buy?

LastChip 12:45 16 Nov 08

What do you mean by VFM router?

mgmcc 12:47 16 Nov 08

A router does provide internet access to all computers connected to it and independently from any other computer in the network. In other words, either your computer or your daughter's can be online whether or not the other computer is running.

The type of wireless router you would install depends on the type of broadband you have - ADSL via the phone line or Virgin's Cable service. With ADSL, you require a *combined* "Router & ADSL Modem" which replaces a USB Modem. With Cable broadband, you use a "Cable/DSL Router", which doesn't incorporate a Modem and which connects by ethernet cable to the Virgin Cable Modem or Set-top box.

Routers from any of the mainstream suppliers will do the job - Netgear, Linksys, Belkin, D-Link, Buffalo etc.

MAJ 12:55 16 Nov 08

What you need is a wireless modem router. It will connect to your telephone line, not to your daughter's computer. If she is using a wireless enabled laptop (you don't say what she's using) then it will pick up the wireless signal from the router and ask to connect, all she has to do is input the router's wireless security key that you will set up.

If she doesn't have a wireless enabled laptop and instead uses a laptop that isn't wireless enabled, then she will need to install a USB wireless Adapter and it will detect the wireless signal, then all she has to do is input the router's wireless security key that you will set up.

If she is using a desktop PC then she will need to install a USB wireless Adapter and it will detect the wireless signal, then all she has to do is input the router's wireless security key that you will set up.

Initially, you will have to connect the router to your PC (I'm assuming you're using a Desktop) via an ethernet cable and set the router up with your ISP's connection details. You can keep that wired to your PC or you can also attach a USB wireless adapter to your PC and take away the ethernet cable, leaving your PC to also connect wirelessly to the router.

Neither computer is then dependant on the other computer being switched on to share the connection as long as the Router is connected to the telephone line and is turned on.

MAJ 12:57 16 Nov 08

I took "VFM" to mean "Value For Money".

Quiller. 13:02 16 Nov 08

VFM router

Value For Money??

EFC1878

you can still restict time on the internet and sites visited by tweaking the settings in some routers.

VFM routers

for a cable internet connectionsclick here

For telephone internet connectionsclick here

Quiller. 13:02 16 Nov 08

beat me to it:-)

EFC1878 18:15 16 Nov 08

Apologies for using an abbreviation - yes VFM = Value for Money.

I use a desktop and connect to the internet via an ADSL coonection and using a BT Home Hub.

EFC1878 18:16 16 Nov 08

I meant to also explain that Idid not respond sooner as I was watching a certain team play footy and then had further DIY chores to do as a penance!

EFC1878 18:20 16 Nov 08

MAJ

Are you saying that if I set up the Belkin Wirelss G USB Network Adapter that I already have on the my daughters pc and enter the securityy code of the BT Home Hub then this will work fine?

Also I assume thta a) this also means that I do not need to install the usb adapter in my pc as I did pre BT Home Hub and b) my pc does not need to be on for her to connect?

mgmcc 20:09 16 Nov 08

As you have a BT Home Hub, you ALREADY HAVE A ROUTER!

You just need to connect both computers to the Home Hub, either by ethernet cable or "wirelessly", for each of them to have internet access independently of the other computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple