Wireless router advice

TomG 09:00 19 Jun 06

Hi

I'm currently using a belkin F5D7633 router (my pcs are using belkin F5D7050 usb adapters).

currently i have a problem where the broadband signal keeps dropping, either there is no phone light on the router or there is a red light (which i think means it cannot coonect to the isp), if i change the modem and use the one supplied by my isp (a speedtouch modem) I don't seem to have any problems.

The red light issue is usually resolved by removing the mains cable for 5 seconds but if there are no lights its just a matter of waiting (rebooting doesn't correct it).

belkin say i need the line testing but they cannot say why the speedtouch works all the time nor have they given me a reason for the red light.

My isp is talktalk - but I had a similar problem when i was with wanadoo.

Considering that the red light issue is solved by cutting the power i suspect the router may be faulty so - can anyone recommend a manufaturer? I want the router to be compatible with my belking adapters and be capable of useing 128 bit wep (16 key hexadecimal)

Fingees 10:09 19 Jun 06

I would contact Belkin on their free phone number.

They can give advice plus will exchange if it has developed a fault, under their lifetime guarentee

TomG 10:33 19 Jun 06

hi

Thanks for the reply - I've tried that but they said it was my phone line (but couldn't say why my speedtouch modem was ok nor what was causing the red light.

The belkin router i have now is a replacement router for one that went faulty a few months ago

Legolas 10:50 19 Jun 06

I had a belkin router that kept dropping the connection turned out the power lead to the router was faulty.

TomG 11:04 19 Jun 06

Thanks Legolas - how did you discover it was the power lead?

Legolas 14:13 19 Jun 06

I used another power lead that fitted and the router went fine. I took the router back and got an exchange as I needed the alternative power lead.

TomG 09:03 23 Jun 06

Well the number of red light incidents has drastically (but not totally) gone which brings me back to me original question re an alternative router

Taff™ 10:37 23 Jun 06

If you`ve changed the power lead it would suggest that it may be the internal PSU in the router. Return it and get an exchange?

TomG 12:32 23 Jun 06

Sorry - no I didn't change the power lead just raised the router about 1/2 inch.

Taff™ 07:14 24 Jun 06

Just a recap then. You red LED is for the Incoming ADSL connection. Raising the router half an inch improves the reception.

If that is correct my Conclusion: The RJ11 (Telephone Cable) connection into your router is loose! Either the modem socket is slightly oversize or more likely the actual cable connector itself is a cheap one. Remove it from the modem, make sure that the cable itself is not restricted and gently pull the spring lever about 3 mm away from the main body of the connector itself. I mean gently - cheap one`s are made of rigid plastic or nylon and prone to snapping off!

Note that the connection pins are on the opposite side to this little lever and what we`re trying to do is ensure the spring lever pushes these pins firmly onto the corresponding pins in the modem socket.

As an alternative try a different modem cable altogether - it may solve the problem.

TomG 19:27 09 Jul 06

Just thought i'd resurect this one as i'm still having problems - anyone with any thought on a suitable alternative to Belkin?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…