Wireless router advice

TomG 09:00 19 Jun 06

Hi

I'm currently using a belkin F5D7633 router (my pcs are using belkin F5D7050 usb adapters).

currently i have a problem where the broadband signal keeps dropping, either there is no phone light on the router or there is a red light (which i think means it cannot coonect to the isp), if i change the modem and use the one supplied by my isp (a speedtouch modem) I don't seem to have any problems.

The red light issue is usually resolved by removing the mains cable for 5 seconds but if there are no lights its just a matter of waiting (rebooting doesn't correct it).

belkin say i need the line testing but they cannot say why the speedtouch works all the time nor have they given me a reason for the red light.

My isp is talktalk - but I had a similar problem when i was with wanadoo.

Considering that the red light issue is solved by cutting the power i suspect the router may be faulty so - can anyone recommend a manufaturer? I want the router to be compatible with my belking adapters and be capable of useing 128 bit wep (16 key hexadecimal)

Fingees 10:09 19 Jun 06

I would contact Belkin on their free phone number.

They can give advice plus will exchange if it has developed a fault, under their lifetime guarentee

TomG 10:33 19 Jun 06

hi

Thanks for the reply - I've tried that but they said it was my phone line (but couldn't say why my speedtouch modem was ok nor what was causing the red light.

The belkin router i have now is a replacement router for one that went faulty a few months ago

Legolas 10:50 19 Jun 06

I had a belkin router that kept dropping the connection turned out the power lead to the router was faulty.

TomG 11:04 19 Jun 06

Thanks Legolas - how did you discover it was the power lead?

Legolas 14:13 19 Jun 06

I used another power lead that fitted and the router went fine. I took the router back and got an exchange as I needed the alternative power lead.

TomG 09:03 23 Jun 06

Well the number of red light incidents has drastically (but not totally) gone which brings me back to me original question re an alternative router

Taff™ 10:37 23 Jun 06

If you`ve changed the power lead it would suggest that it may be the internal PSU in the router. Return it and get an exchange?

TomG 12:32 23 Jun 06

Sorry - no I didn't change the power lead just raised the router about 1/2 inch.

Taff™ 07:14 24 Jun 06

Just a recap then. You red LED is for the Incoming ADSL connection. Raising the router half an inch improves the reception.

If that is correct my Conclusion: The RJ11 (Telephone Cable) connection into your router is loose! Either the modem socket is slightly oversize or more likely the actual cable connector itself is a cheap one. Remove it from the modem, make sure that the cable itself is not restricted and gently pull the spring lever about 3 mm away from the main body of the connector itself. I mean gently - cheap one`s are made of rigid plastic or nylon and prone to snapping off!

Note that the connection pins are on the opposite side to this little lever and what we`re trying to do is ensure the spring lever pushes these pins firmly onto the corresponding pins in the modem socket.

As an alternative try a different modem cable altogether - it may solve the problem.

TomG 19:27 09 Jul 06

Just thought i'd resurect this one as i'm still having problems - anyone with any thought on a suitable alternative to Belkin?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…