Wireless Router and Adaptor

paulhicko 11:52 26 May 06

I'm trying to set up my PC and daughter's brand-new laptop to share the same broadband connection wirelessly. I bought a Netgear wireless router, and a USB adaptor to minimise the cabling. When I'm trying to set up the router it's prompting me to connect my ethernet cable to the PC. First I don't seem to have an ethernet port on back of my PC. Second, I thought that if I plugged in and installed adaptor I didn't have to use an ethernet cable. Have I got my cables crossed?

ghm101 12:07 26 May 06

Typically a router needs to be directly plugged in to configure it.

You can set these routers to allow wireless administration but that is not "best practice" security wise.

Set all the stuff so it can connect to your ISP.

Once this is done it becomes stand alone and you can just use it wirelessly from then on (accepte when you want to administer it.

If your PC does not have an ethernet port your daughters laptop probably will.

You could set the thing up using your daughters LT then establish wireless connections with both your PC and your LT and unplug the ethernet cable.

ghm101 12:25 26 May 06

paulhicko, you got this same thread running both here and in the Helproom. - bad form as these things are measured.

Tick one as resolved with a link to the one you are keeping open.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…