Wireless Router

Robotic_Rob 22:54 20 Aug 07

My girlfriends grand parents are after a wireless router. But im wondering on if all wireless routers will work for all internet providers. As i remember when the girlfriend bought a router her internet, the internet provider said it had to be a certain brand. Or am i getting my wires crossed and you can use all routers for all interent providers?

My girl friends grand parents are using BT.

iqs 23:02 20 Aug 07

If your receive BB via a BT landline you require a modem router.No need to use the supplied modem.If you have cable BB you use a router with the supplied modem.

Ashrich 23:21 20 Aug 07

Internet providers only recommend the wireless routers that they " support " ie. the ones that they have a sheet of stupid answers for !! Unless you buy , say from eBay where some wireless modem/routers are locked to a single provider , just about all of them , with the right details entered , will work on BT or LLU supplied broadband .

Ashley

Robotic_Rob 22:14 21 Aug 07

Right, i think i understand. So im able to use a router like this arent i ?

click here

Technotiger 22:19 21 Aug 07

Yes, you could use that router. However, if they went for BT Total Broadband, with BTs' Option 2 or 3 they would be give a brand new BT Home Hub router Free!

Strawballs 22:21 21 Aug 07

So the ISP is Virgin media? Because there is no mention of that being a modem/router.

Robotic_Rob 22:21 21 Aug 07

Would they? Hmmm...does anybody know if they respond quickly? Ive heard a few people say that some service providers take a while to get round to it.

Technotiger 22:23 21 Aug 07

The BT Home Hub (I am using one at this moment).

click here

Technotiger 22:25 21 Aug 07

I applied last week for mine - got it today! Setting it up took about five minutes! My BT Broadband is being upgraded this coming Friday.

Robotic_Rob 23:55 21 Aug 07

Technotiger
Tue, [email protected]:19

Yes, you could use that router. However, if they went for BT Total Broadband, with BTs' Option 2 or 3 they would be give a brand new BT Home Hub router Free!

Its not exactly free. The price difference over a 12 month period between option 1 and option 2 is £60. Just looking in the Argos catalogue and it has the "BT Voyager 2110" wireless router which I'm guessing is what BT send out with option 2. That's priced at £70.

Apart from the router that they send you. Is there any difference in service between option 1 and 2. As in can i keep the option 1 service and just buy this wireless router? Or does the line have to be set up for a wireless router?

Kate B 00:00 22 Aug 07

And the BT home hub is a nasty, plasticky bit of kit. I've had to set a couple up for friends and I think they look and feel cheap. Unless you want the functionality of the home hub - I believe it will support VoIP and IPTV at some point - go for something else.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5