wireless router

steve-252371 19:10 07 May 07

just installed a wireless network with a belkin g router.the router does not have an on off switch so should i turn it off at the mains when not in use or just turn off my cable modem?

MAJ 19:20 07 May 07

I usually turn everything off, leaving things on is both a fire hazard and a waste of energy.

Mad Mick 22:37 07 May 07

Advice by BT customer help is as follows:-

Every time you switch off or re-connect your router or modem, your broadband service refreshes your connection speed. Note, however, that where this has increased, your throughput speed will not increase for a further 3 days. This is a to minimise the risk of data loss which would occur if the exchange tried to send data down your phone line at a faster rate than it is capable of handling.

To avoid this happening, your exchange waits for three days of consistently higher connection speeds before it will increase the speed at which it passes data down your line. Also note that if your connection speed dips for any reason during the three-day period (eg. due to electrical interference or a fault), the exchange will re-start the three-day period.

For these reasons we recommend you leave your router switched on all the time, and avoid measuring your throughput speed until three days after you last switched on or re-booted your router or modem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…