Wireless Router

Lobzter 58 16:58 17 Mar 06

I am hoping to buy a wireless router but I heard that there are good and bad ones. Can you advise me on which one is best. I have Virgin ADSLat 512kb and I want to connect to my PC and laptop. the router would plug into my PC and I am going to get a wirless card for the laptop. I also want to be able to connect to the internet on my laptop when the PC is not turned on so this means that it cant be powered via power USB. I would prefer an ethernet one but as long as it works and the PC can still be on it doesn't matter. Could you also advise a wireless card for my laptop which is a Thoshiba Stellite Pro 4600 with Windows 2000 Proffesional and the PC has XP home and is a compaq presario 5000.
Thanks

The Kestrel 17:48 17 Mar 06

You will hear pros and cons for most systems. I have a wireless network with 3 PCs, one hardwired to the router and the others by USB adapters. My system is made up of netgear components and has been running for over a year without problems. I recently bought a cheap PCMIA card from novatech to fit into a laptop, which also happily works in the network.

If your present modem is of the USB type, you will not be able to connect a router to it. You will need to purchase a combined modem router that connects to your PC either wirelessly or through your ethernet port with a cable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos