//some 3rd party need geo

Wireless Router

maz2 23:17 25 Oct 05

Well where do I start with this one, my daughter's friend has bought a laptop, which he wants to use wirelessly, he went to PC world and they have sold him a wireless router, he has no other computer in the house, he asked me tonight how he'll set it up and I havent got a clue. I have wireless myself but mine works through my main pc I just can't work out how it will work on it's own, if someone can explain to me I would be very grateful,bearing in mind the I'm not au fait with technical terms, Thank you

Tim1964 23:50 25 Oct 05

ADSL or Cable?

Does the router have a built in modem?

What model of modem/router/wireless adapter?

Either way, set up the router/modem with the lappy by ethernet cable first. Then power down the lappy, router and/or modem. Plug in the Wireless adapter (either card or USB 'thingy') and the router should see the lappy when it's all powered up again, Modem first, then router then laptop last.

You will then need to set up the security features to ensure that only that PC can use the wireless access.

Tim1964 23:52 25 Oct 05

If all else fails re-post for more help.

Don't forget RTFI :D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…