Wireless router

ferrispedro 20:21 08 Nov 04

My daughter wants to use the internet (bb) from her laptop upstairs so I am considering a wireless router.I understand the need for a pcmia card for the laptop but do I need a card in my pc too?Can the router connect direct into pc and if so where to? Peter.

TomJerry 20:37 08 Nov 04

what BB you have, asdl via phone line or cable BB

asdl BB: D-Link DSL-G604T 54Mbp Wireless ADSL Router w/DWL-G122 USB Adapter £76.21 click here

cable BB: D-Link DI-514 11Mbps Broadband Wireless Router £43.60 click here
D-Link DWL-610 11Mbps Wireless Cardbus Adapter £18.72 click here

TomJerry 20:40 08 Nov 04

your main PC needs to be connected to router via Lan/network/Ethernet port. If you do not have network connection port, you need to install a network card D-Link DFE-528TX 10/100 Ethernet PCI Adapter £6.40 click here

VoG II 20:43 08 Nov 04

The BB cable from the modem that is currently connected to your PC goes to the router. The router should come with a cable that connects your PC to the router. Once set up that way, plug the PCMCIA card into the laptop and it should "find" the router.

I have a similar set-up here (including daughter with laptop).

ferrispedro 12:57 09 Nov 04

Thank you all it was the need? for an ethernet connection which lost me. I take it I dont need one? Peter

hillybilly 13:50 09 Nov 04

"I take it I dont need one? Peter"

If only the laptop is going to be wireless then, yes you do need an ethernet connection. It connects your pc to the router. It also called an RJ45 perhaps that might be what is confusing you. It looks similar the the plug on your old ordinary dial up modem cable. It is quite possible you already have one built in, if not follow TomJerry link for a D-Link DFE-528TX 10/100 Ethernet PCI Adapter

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…