wireless range v cable query

spanneress 10:50 08 Oct 05

Hi

I have moved to rural N Yorks and cant get BB on our line as it is split from the farmhouse next door who already has BB...so I bought top of the range MIMO equipment, including modem and try to run my laptop & PC wirelessly from his nextdoor. His wireless router is in an upstairs bedroom approx 100 yards from where my PC's are...but there are many thick stone and cob walls between. We get a signal intermittently and it drops continually, so obviously this MIMO gear is not enough.

If I were to run ethernet from his router to both my PC's, could someone please tell me what the max distance is I can have? I remember when teaching that there are set rules for max distances for ethernet...do I need a repeater and also can I run the cable outside?

Many thanks.

bremner 11:24 08 Oct 05

Have you considered the possibility / practicality of a wireless repeater? click here

Forum Editor 11:42 08 Oct 05

will only work if the wireless router is MIMO as well. You don't say whether or not that's the case.

I'm not sure why you bought a modem?

Twisted pair 10BaseT or FastEthernet 100baseT will both work at around 100 metres maximum, but before you start all that you should consider the wireless repeater solution mentioned by bremner.

Forum Editor 15:17 08 Oct 05

I don't mean that MIMO network adapters won't work at all without a MIMO router - they will - they just won't deliver their full potential.

spanneress 09:39 09 Oct 05

FE I bought a package from BroadandBuyer after much research, and the neighbour had a tiny BT modem installed which apparently wasn't up to the job and thus I got a package with a Zoom X3 Modem /Gateway/Router, a Belkin Wireless Pre-N Router (MIMO) and a Belkin Pre-N network card.

I assumed as the signal was weak in our cottage, a repeater would struggle to pick it up...I am obviously wrong here then in my thinking?

Thanks for your help

spanneress 09:46 09 Oct 05

Oh..and also..if I buy a repeater that works on B or G technology, will this also effect the supposed MIMO technology/range?

I have just re-read all the bumf on the Belkin Pre-N rounter, and it claims that this router should be used in places with hard to reach signal area's and there is no need for a repeater. I think I can safely say that is not entirely accurate.

Forum Editor 12:03 09 Oct 05

for some time now, and I can honestly say I'm very impressed with the performance - it has extended the range of my wireless network enormously.

What I'm not clear about is the physical set up of all this - I assume that the Belkin wireless router and is now installed in your neighbour's house, and that it's connected to the broadband service via the Zoom ADSL ethernet modem? Youi have the Pre-N network card installed in your computer, and the distance between your machine and the router is around 100 yards - is that it?

Assuming that to be the case, you should just about get a signal in those circumstances, but reception will 'wander' - which is apparently what's happening, and you have three choices:-

1. Buy a wireless repeater, and set it up midway between the router and your computer.

2. Make a direct Ethernet cable connection between your machine and the router.

3. Find a way of moving the router closer to your machine.

Of those options, the third one is by far the best bet if you can manage it - you only need to set up a longer cable between router and modem (and supply the router with power of course). Otherwise the wireless repeater would probably do the job. You don't need to physically connect the repeater to either the router or your computer, just provide it with a power supply, and place it mid-way between the two. You'll need to protect it from the elements however, and unless there's a mid-way building of some sort that could be a problem.

To be perfectly honest, you're just about on the limit as far as a direct Ethernet cable connection is concerned, and there's the problem of how you would route the cable (and protect it).

spanneress 13:30 09 Oct 05

FE - thanks for the advice. I agree tht the Belkin is excellent - better than the netgear G tech wireless router I have at my home down south. Your assumption on the set-up is correct. The PC's are in the kitchen / diner which is the closest room to next door (adjoining) and the router is in a bedroom upstairs window facing towards out kitchen at an angle.
The signal is effected by weather, any wind or rain and we have none, today and yesterday it has been fine thus good signal.

I will see if next door will allow me to move the router using a longer ethernet cable to a downstairs room closer to ours, and if that fails will purchase a repeater.

Thanks loads!!!!!!

Forum Editor 13:56 09 Oct 05

will do the trick. Of course, if your neighbour is currently connected to it via an Ethernet cable he may not take kindly to moving it - unless he has a wireless network card in his machine - in which case it won't make any difference.

John-259217 17:59 09 Oct 05

If your PC card has a removable antenna you might also consider trying one which is directional in place of the standard omni.

Have a look click here for some ideas.

Using carefully aimed high gain antennas at each end can produce quite large ranges for a point to point link however in your case simply aiming one accurately at the router may be enough to solve the problem.

I`ve not tried the company in the link but they give a phone number for pre-sales advice so perhaps you could see what they say?

John

Forum Editor 19:04 09 Oct 05

although my experience with this type of antenna has been mixed - some have been excellent, and others not so.

The outdoor kind is the one to go for, but bear in mind that they're not tiny - a 15dB model weighs around a kilo and a half, and is a metre long. At £59 it's about the same cost as a repeater, but a good deal easier to set up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…