Wireless range extenders

TomG 22:58 06 Sep 06

Is it possible to use more than one range extender in a wireless network? Wouldn't there be a conflict with IP addresses (they all seem to have a static address)?

ade.h 00:10 07 Sep 06

I have only ever used one, but I know of networks that use quite a few APs so there shouldn't be any conflict as long as they are all set up correctly. Your WLAN adapters can roam actively between the strongest APs and the "stickiness" of this behaviour can usually be adjusted in the adapter's driver's properties.

TomG 08:23 07 Sep 06

Hi ade.h

Can each of the extenders have the same IP address (I presume not)? If not do you assign a static address to each but the gateway IP address is that of the router?

ade.h 14:25 07 Sep 06

I've just had a look at the manual for that D-Link G700 that you were interested in. Although it doesn't appear to mention a specific need, there is the option to change the device's default IP, so I would do so if I were you. Its default is 192.168.0.50, which you use to access it for the first time, so I would probably set any extra APs in that same range, numbered sequentially.

TomG 18:45 07 Sep 06

Thanks ade.h

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…