Wireless range

sneakerman 19:43 02 Feb 09

At least I think it is wireless range!

I have a USRobotics ADSL router (wireless G) and it has worked almost flawlessly snce I got it, in a wired setup. It is located in a spare bedroom at the front of the house. I have just got a netbook and when in the kitchen canot get a signal, it fades away just as I enter the kitchen. I have been trying to think of a way to extend the range and decided on a 10metre extension antenna cable.

Guess what - it doesn't work!

If I am in the bedroom I can still see the router (with no antenna) but in the kitchen right beside the antenna, no signal. I can see neighbouring wireless network but not my own.

What am I doing wrong? I didn't expect it to be perfect, I did think there would be some loss along the cable but the netbook is inches from the antenna!

Strawballs 09:51 03 Feb 09

If you can put up with a cable that long running through the house why not make it a network cable and connect direct when in the kitchen.

My Linksys wrt54g is in a downstairs room at the back of the house and I can access it from an upstairs room at the back in the house over the road.

sneakerman 10:08 03 Feb 09

I know what you are saying but I still want to be wireless, there are several areas/rooms downstairs that do not see the router upstairs, I thought this extension cable would 'extend' the wireless range throughout the downstairs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…