wireless questions

LAPTOPBABE 21:02 19 Aug 06

My mum has a laptop which has bult in wireless. She is waiting for her wireless router to come from AOL who i have been with for 6 years and find them brill by the way!! Firstly does she need a network card or will the built in wireless do? Secondly I think it is the dg934 netgear which they will send and I have that one which should make it easier. It says to use the cable to set it up, but then what do you do, what will happen when I unplug it and what do i have to do? I have a netgear network card on my laptop even though mine has wireless built in and I would like to try mine without it in. What do i do to change mine over? I have a pc by the way connected by ethernet cable. Any help would be nice. thanks

ade.h 21:10 19 Aug 06

No, she doesn't need a network adapter of any kind. It's actually a DG834G; to configure it, do the following:

1) Run a Cat5 Ethernet cable (patch or crossover) from a port of the router to the RJ45 LAN port on a PC - any PC, laptop or desktop.

2) Open a browser. Type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar. Enter the default access name and password for Netgear routers, as detailed in the PDF manual.

3) Enter AOL's ISP settings and your account login and password, including AOL's unique MTU value of 1400.

First part of the job done. Now you can start enabling and configuring the security features and encryption protocol.

ade.h 21:11 19 Aug 06
  LAPTOPBABE 21:15 19 Aug 06

Ok I know about all that having done my own, but you didn't say what would happen when I unplug the ethernet cable. Cheers.

ade.h 21:16 19 Aug 06

Well, er, nothing! To be honest, if you "know all that" then I'm a bit surprised that you asked what would happen.

LAPTOPBABE 21:49 19 Aug 06

When is set mine up i never unplugged the cable as it is still attached to the main pc. Also you didn't say how i would change it over from the network card to built in card on my laptop, I would love to get rid of this network card in mine. i have tried to do it but I can't get it to work. i wasn't trying to be clever before.

LAPTOPBABE 21:51 19 Aug 06

When is set mine up i never unplugged the cable as it is still attached to the main pc. Also you didn't say how i would change it over from the network card to built in card on my laptop, I would love to get rid of this network card in mine. i have tried to do it but I can't get it to work. i wasn't trying to be clever before.

ade.h 22:44 19 Aug 06

I don't really know what you mean; there is no "changing over" involved. In using the Ethernet LAN to access the router, you haven't set up a network specifically - just made a network connection - and you haven't precluded subsequent use of another adapter in the same PC.

To browse for and connect to a wireless network using a built-in adapter and Windows XP: click here and read the last three paragraphs; it's generic advice, but I have not yet copied to another part of that site, so just ignore the stuff above it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…