Wireless Questions

stolo 09:30 08 Nov 05

Am an absolute novice but wanted to basically have my modem downstairs and my PC upstairs, possibly adding printer and another PC at a later date. Did a little research, asked a few questions and bought:

Belkin Pre-N wireless Router.
Belkin Pre-N network card.
Dlink ADSL modem with ethernet slot.

I can install network card - no problem. What The issues I'm having difficulty with are the instruction modem ask that it's connected to the pc via ethernet during installation. The router instruction say that I must connect the (installed) modem to the PC via the router during install. Have tried to install the router wirelessly - didn't work. As I do not have any ethernet connections on my PC should I add an ethernet card or does anyone know of a way around this?

Would be extremely grateful for any help.

Doire_Bhoy 09:35 08 Nov 05

Your network card has an ethernet connector on it does it not?

Anyway i set up a wireless network in my house last week.

I bought a netowrk adpater though, installed the software on my pc. I then rang up Belkins free 24/7 helpline.

Ok it took a while to get through, however once i did the guy on the other line was really helpful and had me set up on a wireless network in five mins.

If you know little of setting it up, i would strongly advice ringing Belkin.

PaulB2005 09:38 08 Nov 05

I would and make sure you have a CAT 5 Path lead too - although one probably came with the Router.

You need to use the wired connection first to set up the router as the router can't connect to your PC or your ISP until you make changes to the settings. Catch 22.

PaulB2005 09:39 08 Nov 05

Network Card with an Ethernet port

or

Wireless Network Adaptor with an Aerial??

Doire_Bhoy 09:41 08 Nov 05

"You need to use the wired connection first to set up the router as the router can't connect to your PC or your ISP until you make changes to the settings."

Paul22005 that wasnt the case for me. I did come across that problem thopugh (as i had no n/w card), but to get around it i installed my wirless n/w adapter software then rang up Belkin and they had me wirless in five minutes.

Doire_Bhoy 09:43 08 Nov 05

wireless network adapter click here

PaulB2005 09:49 08 Nov 05

Interesting. Did you switch your security on?

I'll admit that I'm wrong and thinking about it you probably can set the router up wirelessly, but to avoid problems I've always done it wired. Esp when setting up the security.

stolo 19:26 09 Nov 05

First of all; thanks everyone for your help!
As I said, the network card was fine. Ignored the instruction and went ahead and installed (subsequently found out you don't need to be wired but less chance of 'glitches') the router - worked. As soon as the modem was attached I got a can't connect message. Called Dlink and they had me configured in minutes (can never get through to belkin). All up & running great.

BUT.......

Don't ask me how or why; when entering WEN settings I managed to lock myself out!!!! Can't connect. How on earth do I get around this one?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac