wireless query

  steve-252371 15:53 06 May 07

I currently have my desktop pc hooked up to broadband via a cable modem.My son has just purchased a laptop with wireless built in,i therefore want to hook up a wireless router so we can share the broad band will i need to buy a wireless adaptor for the desk top or can i leave that plugged in and then plug in the router for the lap top?
any help appreciated.

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:03 06 May 07

you can
1. buy a wireless card/ adaptor for the desktop and use internet connection sharing.
Advantage = cheap
Disadvantage = destop must be on and connected for lapto to be able to connect.

2. buy a wireless router click here to replace your cable modem click here the laptop can then be use while the desktop is switched off.

  MAJ 16:04 06 May 07

You can leave the wireless modem router into the desktop if you wish, follow the instructions to set it up on your PC. Your son should then be able to pick up the wireless signal on his laptop.

  MAJ 16:05 06 May 07

You can leave the wireless modem router PLUGGED into the desktop if you wish

  setecio 16:09 06 May 07

FruitBat - The wireless router wil not 'replace' the cable modem ... it attaches to the cable modem, both are needed.

Just be careful that you buy a cable wireless routr and NOT an ADSL wireless router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009