Wireless Queries

daz03 19:07 07 Jan 06

Hi, wondered if anyone could help and I am sure this will have been discussed before, so if anyone can point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

I currently have a wired broadband internet connection and would like to go wireless as cables are a problem. First question is what I need to do to get wireless connection and what the best set up would be. I have a vague idea but am a bit confused.

I also have an Xbox 360 and want to go wireless with that to. Can anyone let me know what is required once I have wireless connection?

At the moment I have to have my PC on to connect to xbox live but would like to be able to connect to xbox live without having pc on all the time. How can I achieve that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

mgmcc 21:09 07 Jan 06

You need a Wireless Broadband Router and, if your broadband is ADSL via the phone line, this should be a *combined* "Router & ADSL Modem". For Cable Broadband (NTL & Telewest) a "stand-alone router, often described as a "Cable/DSL Router", is used.

Any computer that you want to connect to the router "wirelessly" with needs to have a Wireless Network Adapter installed. For a desktop PC this would be a PCI adapter or USB, for a laptop PCMCIA or USB. (I don't know what you would do with an Xbox.)

You can, of course, also connect to a router with a conventional "wired" ethernet adapter.

Strawballs 22:37 07 Jan 06

Some newer laptops are already wireless enabled and I think that the 360 is also wireless enabled but if not it should have a USB connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…