Wireless probs

Gaz_dc 14:40 15 May 04

Hi, I hope someone can help. I have an interesting wireless networking problem. I've got an NTL cable modem connected to a Netgear wireless hub. My main PC has a Netgear PCI card and my girlfriends laptop has a Compac wireless card. Everything seems to run fine (we can share the broadband connection and files etc) until I turn the encryption on. When this is enabled, the laptop with Compac card cannot access the network at all. Could this simply be due to the different manufacturer of components?

Thanks in advance

LeadingMNMs 15:11 15 May 04

You will probably need to check that you enter the encryption keys in the same way on both machines. Some software will allow you to input a memorable key and then converts this into the type used on the network. Sorry I can't remember much about this, hopefully someone else can help.

LeadingMNMs 15:12 15 May 04

Also the components should be made to the same 'specification' so it is unlikely that they are not compatible.

Gaz_dc 15:27 15 May 04

The Netgear hub does indeed allow you to input a memorable phrase from which it generates the key. I then copied this key into notepad, put this file on a usb memory stick and copied it into the Compac wireless software, so it SHOULD be correct

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…