wireless problems(similar)

benwil 20:19 17 Mar 05

installed btvoyager 1040 to spare computer but will not connect to isp have tried following the set up to connect to isp and nothing happens, but network box says iam connected at54mbps and acquiring network. i run ipconfig and it is all zero's. main computer accesses the router bylan cable. any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

FelixTCat 09:05 18 Mar 05

I'm afraid I'm not very clear on what equipment you have or how you are trying to set it up.

Your main computer accesses a router by a lan cable. Presumably the router is an adsl wireless router.

You have now fitted a PCI wireless lan card in your spare computer which shows a wireless connection speed of 54Mbit/sec but is not receiving an IP address from the router.

You want to access the internet from your spare computer.

Is this correct?

First, it would help if you tell us the make and model of your router and the operating system you run on the spare computer.

Secondly, set the TCP/IP properties on your spare computer to obtain an IP address and a DNS server address automatically.

Thirdly, log into your route from your main computer and make sure that it is set up as the DHCP server and that it issue at least 2 addresses (it will normally do this by default, but it is best to check). Also, make sure that no wireless security is set at this stage, particularly WEP.

Finally, disable any firewall on your spare pc, at least until you ave established a network connection.

benwil 10:05 18 Mar 05

both computers running xp,tcp/ip set automatic, no wep set and no firewall yet until set up complete

benwil 10:30 18 Mar 05

further info, btvoyager 2100 router, using aol as isp. any further info please ask.
thanks

FelixTCat 12:19 18 Mar 05

Thanks for that. Make sure that the card in your spare pc is set for infrastructure connection rather than ad-hoc.

Open the network icon on your spare computer. What does it say for status, network, speed, IP address and default gateway?

benwil 16:33 18 Mar 05

card is set for infrastructure,status is connected, speed 54Mbps, ip adress 0.0.0.0, default gateway 0.0.0.0 ; in trouble shooting it says its working properly!
thanks again

FelixTCat 17:15 18 Mar 05

If you're not getting an IP address assigned by the router, the network adapter should default to an address in the range 169..... not stay at 0.0.0.0

Please check that your router is set to act as a DHCP server.

I half picked up from another thread that if you are changing from a single computer set-up for AOL to a networked set-up you have to change an option in the AOL software. Since I don't use AOL I can't advise on that, but it may be in one of the options. It shouldn't prevent your second pc obtaining a network address unless it is confusing the DHCP issue. I will have a quick search for that thread and, if I find it, put a link here.

benwil 17:24 18 Mar 05

router is set as dhcp server.

FelixTCat 17:35 18 Mar 05

That comment in the other forum was:

Have you configured your AOL software communications setup to use a network (TCP/IP, LAN, or ISP) connection rather than "directly connected modem"? You'll need to do this before you can use the router.

benwil 17:47 18 Mar 05

yes, done the aol setup through router still the same

FelixTCat 19:27 18 Mar 05

On the spare pc, open the network icon in the system tray, click Support and hit the Repair button a few times.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…