Wireless Problems with Laptop.

Beardie 15:18 04 May 06

When I turn on my laptop I get the signal icon telling me evrythings ok.After a few minutes a red cross appears on the icon saying the is no connection but there STILL is.
Any ideas from anybody!!

woodchip 15:28 04 May 06

As it worked before? are you XP?

Beardie 17:38 04 May 06

Thanks for the reply.I have windows XP. Just cannt understand why it shows disconnection when its working!!!!

santa2 21:20 04 May 06

I have wireless setup with laptop and tower, it took bit a time. Is the wireless hardware and software installed? Is the wireless properties set? I used ad-hoc. Is your firewall allowing your laptops IP address?

Granger 11:14 05 May 06

Are you sure it's the same connection? For example you may be connected by cable and it's a wireless adapter that's not connected. If you're not using a connection it looks like a fault but isn't.

Granger 11:15 05 May 06

Sorry, being thick - just noticed the title of the thread - so it may be the LAN connection that's not doing anything.

woodchip 11:16 05 May 06

To connect the Laptop WiFi Settings have to be the same settings as the Wireless Router. Like SSID etc

Tog_ 11:44 05 May 06

I had something similar with a guy who visits site occasionally. He never lost access but the message always came up about 30 secs after initial connection to the router. Tracked it down to a utility (DELL I think) that was competing with XP settings. The only way round it was to disable the wireless device through XP then use the utility to re-enable it and then always access the settings through the utility. I can't remember the details more clearly than that, sorry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…