wireless problems

sajeev 19:20 15 Dec 10

I have a Belkin 801g wireless modem at home and have excellent connectivity throughout the house.
I had a similar modem at the office and had no problems till I had to replace it with an Encore 801n wireless modem. Now I find that downloads speeds are very low, I get disconnected frequently and have to click "repair" to get reconnected.
I have a dell 700m lap top (five years old) and use XP home and Chrome. I am the only user at home. At the office, there is one desktop connected to the router by cable, another desktop wirelessly linked to the router (and also frequently having problems) and my laptop connected wirelessly.
What could be the cause and how can I set it right without jeopardising my home access?
Thanks in advance
Sajeev

woodchip 20:33 15 Dec 10

The modem on the PC will most likely be a G not N that may be your problem one not compatible with the other. You need to either change the router to G or if you have a free PCI slot By a N Modem with the correct drivers for your Operating System. Sorry Re read its a Laptop That Means a N PCMCIA card Or a USB modem stick that supports N

woodchip 20:35 15 Dec 10

You could first try running this on your Laptop, it doubled my speed to the same as my Desktop click here make a backup with the program before you Optimize

sajeev 00:21 16 Dec 10

Woodchip:
Thanks for the prompt replies. Have already tried optimizing all the parameters with little benefit. I think it may be the N/G incompatability. Shall try and obtain a modem stick that supports N.
Sajeev

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…