wireless problems

Jonnie30 18:29 29 Apr 08

I have recently bought a laptop for my home and my girlfriend already has one with wireless broadband. However this is security enabled and she cannot remember the security password, so i cannot use the laptop on the internet. Is there anything I can do to find this or get round it? Someone has mentioned resetting the broadband router but would this ruin anything for me?

BurrWalnut 18:44 29 Apr 08

She needs to connect to the router setup and find out the SSID and key. This is achieved by typing 192.168.n.n into a browser window and supplying a user name and a password. The 192 address, user name and password depends upon the make of router and ISP as follows:
Belkin 192.168.2.1
BT Home Hub 192.168.1.254 (or bthomehub.home) admin admin
BT Voyager 2091 192.168.1.1 (or voyager.home) admin admin
BT Voyager 2500v 192.168.1.1 (or voyager.home) admin admin
3Com 192.168.1.1 admin admin
D-Link 192.168.0.1 admin
Linksys 192.168.1.1 admin admin
Microsoft Broadband 192.168.2.1 admin admin
Netgear 192.168.0.1 admin password
Safecom 192.168.1.1 admin admin
Sky (Netgear) 192.168.0.1 admin sky

Jonnie30 19:20 29 Apr 08

Sorry to be a pain, but how do I find that?

BurrWalnut 20:01 29 Apr 08

As an example, if you have a Netgear router you open a browser window and in the address bar you type 192.168.0.1. When asked for the user name and password, type admin and password respectively. This will connect you to the router details, look for a section named wireless or similar wording and in that section will be an SSID and a WEP/WPA key. Make a note of these and/or change the SSID to something more meaningful to you but don‘t use obvious names, like your name. Also, change the key type and value if you wish.

The SSID and key are needed for any wireless computer to connect to a router. The software varies from manufacturer to manufacturer but it involves keying in the SSID and the security key by right-clicking the wireless network adapter’s icon in the system tray, open it and follow the prompts to connect.

If you have difficulty connecting to the router wirelessly, use the Ethernet cable that came with it.

So, to recap, find out the make of the router, enter the name and password to access the router and make a note of the SSID and key.

Jonnie30 21:13 29 Apr 08

I have managed to do as you have said changing the wep security key, however when i try to connect via my laptop its asking for a security key or phrase. I type in this key but it says its wrong. Any ideas please?

BurrWalnut 08:30 30 Apr 08

You didn’t have to change the key type and value, I suggested that just in case you were using the lesser-secure WEP.

Did you click Save when you made the change?

Jonnie30 10:25 30 Apr 08

Yes, thats not the problem anymore in the sense i now know how to get into that etc. My problem is the security key or phrase it keeps asking for we don't know that. When I go into settings and security it makes out the password is nine characters long but for obvious reasons you can't see it. How can I found this out please?

BurrWalnut 15:28 30 Apr 08

'Google' for the manual for your router, this should explain where to find the key.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…