Wireless Problems

Lucky Luke 14:17 18 Jul 06

I have just set up a wireless network in our house (using Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Router DG834G). I live in an old house and unfortunately the connection doesn't last throughout the house. How can I boost the power so that it is possible to access the internet on all the floors of my house (three floors)?

Also when setting up the wireless connection I was warned that other might be able to view what I am doing. I have plenty of protection for all the computers and wonder if this just means that those using the computers in the network will be able to see what I am doing or whether others will too. I am bit worried about things like credit transactions via the web while bearing this in mind. Could you let me know if there are any worries?

Lastly when using my laptop (which I have just connected to the internet using the wireless connection) I am able to get very good video quality. Unfortunately with the wired computer the video comes out more like a slideshow of images when watching something like BBC News. I wonder if you have any suggestions as to how I could build up the video quality.

I hope that you will be able to offer some advice on the questions that I have asked above.

Taff™ 14:56 18 Jul 06

Question one - try putting the router on a telephone extension on the second floor. Depending on the quality of the extension cables it may work. If no good post back - you need a signal booster or another wireless (bridge) router somewhere in between.

Question 2 - you need to enable encryption on the router either WEP or WPA (Better) have a look in the manual or post in the Network Forum.

Question 3 - I need help on this one!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…