Wireless Problems

Mr "B" 19:31 24 Mar 06

Can anyone help with this problem. I have a netgear wireless router and a wireless laptop and when i turn the laptop off and leave it overnite when i turn it on the next day there is no wireless connection found. I then have to connect it with a cable to the router and go on to the internet in that way, then i go into my netgear wireless settings - set up access list - to find that there can be up to 50 or more wireless connections which say username UNKNOWN and MAC address will read STOP STOP STOP. Its not until i delete these and apply that it will then search my wireless network and find it and then i can disconnect and i am wireless again - this has happened everyday for the last three days.

Danoh 19:56 24 Mar 06

What security have you setup on your wireless network?

Mr "B" 20:02 24 Mar 06

changed the ssid also turned on the access setting to only allow certain computers which i have given the mac address, but i done all this weeks ago and its been fine until this week where its all gone wrong

ade.h 20:06 24 Mar 06

So no WPA or even WEP then?

It's conceivable that this behaviour could be caused by someone using and tampering with your network. It's this thing about 50+ connections that smells fishy to me, though your description of it is a bit vague for me to be certain.

Danoh 20:10 24 Mar 06

Password protected the login to your Router's Config settings?

Mr "B" 20:12 24 Mar 06

sorry for being vague, i'm not very good at explaining. As soon as i delete one of these unknown things they all get deleted so i don;t have to do them individually. I haven,t set the security WPA or WEP, i know its daft but i;m not very clued up with pc's and that setting confused me so i left it.

Mr "B" 20:13 24 Mar 06

I'm password protected so you can't access my wireless settings.

ade.h 20:19 24 Mar 06

Anyone with the cracking software and a bit of nous could connect to your open network and get past that config password if they wanted to.

Mr "B" 20:23 24 Mar 06

so basically what your saying is that its worth setting more security on my wireless connection, would this solve this problem i have though? Thing is,why doesn't it show the mac address in the settings if someone is trying to tap in to my network.

Mr "B" 20:23 24 Mar 06

so basically what your saying is that its worth setting more security on my wireless connection, would this solve this problem i have though? Thing is,why doesn't it show the mac address in the settings if someone is trying to tap in to my network.

Danoh 20:33 24 Mar 06

Does your netgear router have an option to keep security logs? That will list out accesses to your wireless network as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5