Wireless Problem

DAKAR 13:25 29 Mar 08

Hi everyone
Can some throw some light on a problem I have connecting to the internet through a belkin router
This has only just started happening within the last week
When I try to connect wirelessly I get the message Connection is now connected,then it drops out and I get about 5 or 6 icons in the tray at the bottom of the screen and the message scanning then it comes up with other networks in range then it connects back to my network and drops off again and this carries on
I have even tried rebooting to get it to connect then sudenly it will connect and be ok
Any ideas
regards
Dakar

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:05 29 Mar 08

Change to a different channel, other networks arond you may cause interference and drop out if using the same channel.

Most people just use the default channel when setting up and therefore most people are on the same channel causing the interference.

DAKAR 15:39 29 Mar 08

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\
I have tried over some time altering the channel settings because of the low signal strength I was getting but have just been in to alter the channel as you suggested and there is a message saying
Duplicate administrator
Router is currently being administered by 192.168.2.5
the address I use is 192.168.2.1
so I cannot change channels
Never seen this message b4
Regards
Dakar

pchelper001 15:47 29 Mar 08

this could mean that someone else is in your router settings? what security have you got on it?

DAKAR 16:13 29 Mar 08

Hi pchelper001
the security is WEP and as I say this is only today that I have noticed this
Regards
Dakar

pchelper001 16:35 29 Mar 08

hmm...how many computers have you got on your network? do any of them use the ip address 192.168.2.5?

DAKAR 16:50 29 Mar 08

only two and none on that ip address
I have just gone back into the router and it is back to normal and I have now selected channel 8
seems strange
Regards
Dakar

DAKAR 16:55 29 Mar 08

Hi pchelper001
carrying on from last post,Ihave just gone into my computer to change channel to 8 and now I am getting the same message as I did with the first computer only the ip addy is 192.168.2.2
Any ideas
Dakar

pchelper001 17:00 29 Mar 08

i dont know....is it possible for anyone to be using your wireless network? it is quite easy to hack wep nowadays.

Try changing ure wep key.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant