Wireless Problem

milkybarkid 00:04 16 May 05

I have a D-Link wireless router. My main PC is cabled directly into it and my Sony Vio uses a small USB plug in device to connect. Has been working fine and I have been getting a strong signal all around my proprty. Went to use it on Saturday and within 5 metres of the unit get a good signal but after that thit falls off rapidly and I can't use it in most rooms that I need to. Any ideas?

Taff36 00:18 16 May 05

Could you use it in those rooms before? Which D-Link Router is it by the way? Also has this only started happening recently?

I would check the Aerial connection and make sure it is firmly attached. Also Check the dongle both at the USB connection and if applicable that the "Pen" unit is firmly attached to the base unit at the end of the USB lead.

milkybarkid 00:31 16 May 05

Yes could use it with strong sig. all over the property. It is a D-Link DSL 604T and it has only just started to happen.

Aerial and USB connection on laptop are firmly in place.

handful 08:07 16 May 05

It could be interference from another device transmitting from a neighbour, e.g. a video sender which also transmits at 2.4ghz. I have the same router and have a very strong signal throughout the house. Have you used the utility that comes with the dongle to see how strong the signal is in percentage terms? Mine is usually around 85%.

Taff36 09:15 16 May 05

I also have the same router and have set up 3 of them so far. Use the D-Link facility as handful suggests and check the signal strength as you move your laptop away from the router. Make notes as you go and map the signal on a little diagram of your property.

Now move the router somewhere else. Put it in a totally different position if possible or at least put it higher up, not on the floor or under a table and swivel the aerial to a different position. Notice any changes at all?

Let us know!

Legslip 09:51 16 May 05

Thanks Taff & Handful.

Normally set up the laptop in my kitchen on a Saturday afternoon (so I can have a bet online!) but nothing has been touched and this Saturday the signal strength was 'low' and I could not get on the web. I have tried moving the aerial in the router about but to no avail.
If I grab the laptop, as I start to go upstairs the signal strength increases by degress to 'excellent' when I am next to the router, but it was 'excellent' all over my property before.
It would be nice to try another dongle to see if that is the problem. Are they universal?

Taff36 22:02 16 May 05

It doesn`t sound to me as if it`s the dongle. (I take it the router is upstairs and it is only in the kitchen that you have a problem.) Is it the D-Link dongle that came as part of a bundle with the router itself? (i.e. it also has a USB extension cable and base or was it seperate and simply fits straight into the back of the laptop?

milkybarkid 22:09 16 May 05

It doesn`t sound to me as if it`s the dongle. (I take it the router is upstairs and it is only in the kitchen that you have a problem.) Is it the D-Link dongle that came as part of a bundle with the router itself? (i.e. it also has a USB extension cable and base or was it seperate and simply fits straight into the back of the laptop?

Just had a nightmare evening (3 hours) with the D-Link Helpdesk. First thing that they managed to do was completely lose my connection. After an immense struggle i am now back on-line but the signal strength on the laptop is still low. The D-Link dongle came with the router together with a USB extension cable or it will fit direct into the back of the laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…