wireless printing via router

Dutchy11 12:58 03 Sep 08

Hi. I have a new "wireless" printer (HP C4380) which I am trying to add to my existing wireless network in the house. With BOTH the laptop AND the printer working wirelessly - I am unable to print. Both are connected to the router (Netgear DG834G) with each being assigned an ip address. When I hit print - the printer "wakes up" and appears ready to print - but nothing occurs. The document does not even appear in the laptop print queue.

If however I connect the laptop to the router via an ethernet cable then I can print to the still "wireless" printer without issue.

I can also set-up an ad hoc connection from the laptop direct to the wireless printer and this works fine too.

My aim is to be able to print via the existing wireless network and not via ad hoc.

Do I have to set the router up in a particular way?

Technotiger 13:24 03 Sep 08

Have you clicked on Sharing in the printer Properties?

Dutchy11 13:40 03 Sep 08

I had not - but doing this does not seem to have resolved the problem. Sending a document from notepad results in nothing being printed. BUT if I go into control panel / printers - right click on on the printer icon and select properties and then select "print a test page" this prints fine with both laptop and printer being wireless.

Any suggestions?

Dutchy11 14:03 03 Sep 08

some more info.

Actually the document (in this case a ms word 2007 document) does pass through the print queue. For a short moment the document appears in the print queue as "spooling" and then "printing" and then the document is gone from the queue. The printer flashes "printing" in the lcd screen for a moment - whirs for a moment - and then does nothing :(

woodchip 15:22 03 Sep 08

You need to rerun the Network Wizard in the Control Panel on a XP computer, all hardware should be switched on that wants to share before running the Wizard. Create a Disc to use on the other computers while everything is still switched on

Technotiger 15:42 03 Sep 08

I have been away - but woodchip is pointing you in the right direction.

Full instructions here click here

Woolwell 15:48 03 Sep 08

You may have to set the printer to have a fixed IP address rather than being allocated a new one every time you power up. I had to do this with my Lexmark.

woodchip 15:51 03 Sep 08

If its done with the Wizard it will be allocated by Router if its set on Computers to Automatic

Dutchy11 16:32 03 Sep 08

ok- I'm making progress. I have now set the router to always assign the printer the same ip address.

The machine I'm having an issue with is a Vista home premium machine.

But - in response to your post I dug an older XP Pro laptop with 802.11b wireless on board out of the cuboard and installed the drivers for the new printer that. I can print totally wirelessly from that laptop - so it must be related in some way to the newer laptop. I'm thinking (in ignorance) the drivers are not as vista compatable as they say they are or perhaps the only other differnece I can see is that the new laptop has 802.11g. While the router (netgear dg864g) is b and g capable I'm wondering if this particular mix is doing somehting odd?

Woolwell 16:46 03 Sep 08

Have you tried printing with the firewall turned off?

Dutchy11 17:20 03 Sep 08

yup - all turned off. I've got norton installed - and I've disabled it and windows firewall has a habit of coming back on of its own accord - but that is off too - I have checked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5