wireless printing

amosmoses 21:03 11 Aug 07

Hi, can anyone confirm for me that the only way to print from a wi-fi laptop connection with a printer (connected to my desktop) that does not have a network card, would be to add a print server? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Rob

Ashrich 00:26 12 Aug 07

Do you mean that the printer doesn't have a network card , or the desktop PC ? If the desktop has a network connection then you can enable file and printer sharing on both PC's then run the " add a printer " on the laptop and tell it to look across the network for the printer and the drivers , although , to print wirelessly the desktop PC must be running .

Ashley

amosmoses 11:18 12 Aug 07

Hi Ash, thanx for the reply! Yea my desktop is connected to the printer via usb. The printer does not have a network facility. I have enabled file & print sharing on both laptop & pc ( i think) & shared the printer. When i go to add printer from the laptop i can see my pc but no printer is listed.
Any ideas?
PS. Firewalls are switched off.
R.

Ashrich 14:04 12 Aug 07

Go into the printer properties ( start/settings/printers ) right click on the printer and select properties , second tab along should say " sharing " or similar , have a look there for the option to share the printer , that should do it !

Ashley

amosmoses 14:59 12 Aug 07

Hi Ash,
seem to have resolved it one way or the other. Had to map the network folders via connecting as administrator. Once i did that it picked up the printer.
Thanx again.

R.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now