wireless printing

gippingman 17:34 20 Aug 06

I have a dell dimension 5150 home pc wired to a linksys wag54gs-uk modem/router for braodband use. I also have a hp psc 2110 all in one which is connected via wired usb directly to pc.
I also have two laptops - modern gateway models) which are working ok for wireless internet use. I am now trying to share the printer (and to less extent the files) but am having difficulty doing this. Some advice I received suggests that as the printer is connected via usb to pc, I can somehow configure the laptops to print ok (as long as the pc is switched on - is this true??
If so, how ?
Other advice I received suggests that I either need a wireless usb print server box or buy a new printer that is either network or wireless enabled.

Any advice appreciated!

Strawballs 17:43 20 Aug 06

You can use the printer in its present setup as long as the machine it is on is switched on and the printer is set for shareing by going to start printers and faxes right clicking on the printer icon and set it for sharing, then on the machines that you want to share it you go to start printers and faxes add a printer network printer then browse untill you find the one you want to use and when it warns you that by doing this you will have to install drivers click OK and it will do it for you.

woodchip 17:46 20 Aug 06

To do the above you need to go to Control Panel run the Network Wizard after turning all your computers on and all printer on. Create a Floppy when it asks you, what you want to do, then use the floppy to setup other computers by double clicking the file on the floppy disc. this should setup your printer for file and printer sharing, But you have to have the computer that the printer is connected to switched on when you want to use other computer to print from

mgmcc 17:49 20 Aug 06

Firstly be aware that "Microsoft File & Printer Sharing" supports the sharing of Printers, not Scanners or Copiers. Therefore, you will only have full functionality with the PC the "all-in-one" is physically connected to. Other networked computers should be able to print with it.

My solution was to use a Belkin USB switch that supports the connection of up to four computers to a single USB peripheral - in my case an HP PSC.

However, to set up printer sharing:

1) Connect the printer to the "client" PC, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

2) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". In the client's "My Network Places" (or Network Neighborhood), the printer should then appear as a shared resource of the "host" PC along with any shared folders. Double clicking the printer in the remote PC should automatically install it as a "network printer" in the "client". This means that the "client" now has the same printer installed twice - once as a "local" printer and again as a "network" printer (with a bar under the icon to indicate a network device). If you are always going to print via the network, you may want to set the "network printer" as the default.

Otherwise, have a look at this Microsoft article. It is an old article written for Windows 95, but the basic principle for installing the network printer should still be valid.

click here

Also - "How to Use Windows XP to Share a Printer with Others on Your Network"

click here

ArrGee 17:51 20 Aug 06

Worth a quick read-through
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac