wireless printer/scanner

dippydee 17:25 01 Dec 05

Hi every one, iam new to computor technology but have managed get my laptop wireless connection with my main computor. i'd like to run a wireless pinter scanner to my laptop too, do i need a special one for wireless or will an hp 1215 be ok. i have an hp computor and a toshiba laptop. can you tell me what lead thingy i need to connect it to the computor

Thank you.

mgmcc 19:08 01 Dec 05

The usual method of sharing a printer is to have it connected to one computer (the "Host" computer) and, in its Properties, set it as "Shared". It can then be installed as a "Network Printer" (as opposed to a Local Printer) in the "Client" computer so that it can print over the network.

However, the HP PSC 1215 is a multi-function Printer, Scanner & Copier and Windows "File & Printer Sharing" doesn't support the sharing of scanners, only printers. You can still share it as a Printer, but Scanning and Copying will only be possible from the PC it is actually connected to.

Network Printer Setup

1) Connect the printer to the “client” PC, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

2) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". In the client’s "My Network Places" (or Network Neighborhood), the printer should then appear as a shared resource of the "host" PC along with any shared folders. Double clicking the printer in the remote PC should automatically install it as a "network printer" in the “client”. This means that the “client” now has the same printer installed twice – once as a “local” printer and again as a “network” printer (with a bar under the icon to indicate a network device). If you are always going to print via the network, you may want to set the "network printer" as the default.

Otherwise, have a look at this Microsoft article. It is an old article written for Windows 95, but the basic principle for installing the network printer should still be valid.

h t t p : / /

dippydee 19:54 01 Dec 05

to mgmcc , thanks for that swift answer. :)

keewaa 20:18 01 Dec 05

Or connect it to your router with a mini print server, meaning the PC doesn't have to be on.

click here

mgmcc 20:26 01 Dec 05

Actually, the solution I adopted with the same Printer/Scanner/Copier was to install a software controlled USB switch that lets me connect up to four computers to a single USB peripheral. That way two PCs and a Mac all have the full functionality of the Printing and Scanning, although of course this doesn't give a "wireless" solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…