Wireless Printer Sharing, Advice please

lixdexik 21:41 31 Oct 04

I would like to be able to share my printer with another computer. My setup at the moment is this.

My main computer (this one) is connected by a cable to a Linksys wireless G broadband router. My daughter’s laptop has a wireless connection to the router.

Both machines share only the Internet connection, they are not networked together as such, we can’t share info between them.

The main computer is quite old and does not have any USB ports, All the PCI slots are in use, so there is no space to add in a pci usb card.

My question is this…would my main computer that is wired to the router, be able to communicate with a wireless printer server through the router, or would it still require it’s own independent wireless connection to the printer server?

I hope this makes sense

Cheers Lixdexik

easyrider 21:53 31 Oct 04

Yes your computer will be able to access the wireless printer via the Linksys wireless G broadband router, all you might have to do is network to allow printer sharing. If I am wrong some one please correct me.

lixdexik 21:57 31 Oct 04

I'll let this run a bit. and see if others have any thoughts.

Cheers Lixdexik.

Mikè 21:59 31 Oct 04

Your existing setup will be sufficient, providing you have the main computer on whenever you need to print. You will have to share the printer though, and install it in "add printers" on the laptop.

Mikè 22:03 31 Oct 04

Sorry just re-read your post, you do not really need any printer server "other than your main pc" as long as the printer is hard wired to it.

easyrider 22:12 31 Oct 04

lixdexik is asking if he will need to install a wireless conection to his computer or will it connect to the the printer via the wireless router and the wireless printer server. I think he wants the laptop to be able to access the printer if his computer is switched off, is this correct lixdexik.

lixdexik 22:29 31 Oct 04

I would like the laptop to be able to use the printer independantly.

Thank you both for your input.

Cheers Lixdexik

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…