Wireless Printer Setup Problem

Legslip 23:29 23 Aug 10

I have purchased a new wireless printer that will only connect wirelesly to my PC via a wireless router. My PC network port is wired into a hub that is hard wired back to the main router over some distance. I do have a spare wireless router. Is there a way of connecting to, or replacing the hub so I can get the printer working on my PC?

mgmcc 07:31 24 Aug 10

If your spare Router is a Cable/DSL Router (i.e. *without* a built-in Modem) it can simply be plugged in via its ethernet WAN port to the existing cable and used as a "sub-router".

If it is an ADSL Modem/Router, it could be used as a basic Wireless Access Point / Network Switch. Disable its DHCP Server and connect one of its LAN ports to the existing cable, then connect the PC to another LAN port and the printer to it "wirelessly". In this scenario, it *WON'T* function as a router, only as a Network Switch, because its WAN port cannot be connected.

BRYNIT 07:57 24 Aug 10

What printer do you have ?

All Wireless printers that I have looked at also have a usb connection.

Legslip 09:14 24 Aug 10

Thanks people.
BRYNIT it's a HP B109n.

mgmcc, the router is a Linksys WAG54GS and doesn't appear to have a WAN port. It has a line port but I think that is something different isn't it? It has the usual 4 Ethernet ports. Can I use this?

mgmcc 11:41 24 Aug 10

The WAG54GS is a combined Modem/Router and so you'd have to disable its DHCP server and use it as a simple Network Switch, per the second paragraph of my previous message.

Legslip 14:56 24 Aug 10

Thanks mgmcc. I'm at my office tomorrow pm and I'll try it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…