wireless printer problem

willyv 08:49 19 Aug 10

hi all,
i have a wireless hp photosmart premium 309-g. i have had intermittent wireless print problems from the start. from a few sessions with hp support chat it seems that the printer is intermittently falling off the wifi network. the tech support has taken me thro steps to reset the printer ip address etc- it then works for a bit until it all has to be done again. anyway i got fed up of this and spoke to comet where i purchased it. they do a replace for new service on all hp printers (which i thought was pretty good). i have the new printer now and was wondering if the forum would recommend i re-install software or just plug in and see what happens. also any info on why this is happening would be useful. ta.
ps i run windows 7 32bit

Nontek 09:30 19 Aug 10

I have only ever used Epson printers, so cannot comment on HP. However, it is my experience that for a printer to work properly, the software must be installed before connecting the printer - the Epson software usually prompts for printer to be connected during the software installation.

Also make sure that printer preferences include 'Share this printer', for wireless use.

willyv 11:01 19 Aug 10

have just plugged in and this heap wont even load paper-just comes straight out the back. arrrrrrrgh

woodchip 11:09 19 Aug 10

HP are very poor on Printer Drivers, always have been as long as I can remember. Try changing the Channel number for Wireless in your Router, then reboot the router

Strawballs 12:27 19 Aug 10

They can't be that bad because a lot of big companies use them

morddwyd 19:42 19 Aug 10

Hp installation is procedure critical.

Unplug/disconnect your printer or otherwise return it to factory settings.

Uninstall the software. Make sure you fully uninstall it, do an L3 uninstall if you have an install disc (Google L3 uninstall).

Remove all HP directories.

Download the latest software from the HP site and re-install.

Do not connect your printer until told to do so.

HP printers are good value, but their software is rubbish.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…