wireless printer for laptop (XP) and PC (vista)

sarahg123 16:23 05 Mar 10

Hi! I am looking for a printer that will connect wielssly to my laptop which runs Windows XP and my desktop PC which has Vista. I do not want an all in one as I cannot find one that will scan 35mm negatives and slides for under £250, so will get an Epson V300 for that job and want a good quality printer that will print excellent quality photos and reasonable documents with reasonable running costs and within a budget of £150. Am I asking too much?

iqs 18:10 07 Mar 10

I know you dont want an all in one,but I have the Epson SX515W
Its wireless and I have my desktop,laptop and netbook all connected via wireless.And was easy to set up.Paid £100 from Argos

Just a thought...

chub_tor 19:12 07 Mar 10

It is hard to find non multion printers that are wirelss, I spent 10 minutes or so on Google with no success. My personal choice would be the Canon MP560 which typically costs £115. It has individual cartridges that are available as compatibles and a replaceable/cleanable print head. Great for photos, you can print direct from several different camera cards but no it does not do slides. Good reviews here click here

peter99co 17:44 08 Mar 10

Are you running a wireless router? Is your desktop connected to a router?

It is possible to network all three items without the printer having wireless as long as the printer is connected to the PC

sarahg123 19:02 08 Mar 10

Thanks for your response, I am running a wireless router which is connected to my PC, but not my husbands' laptop. It needs to be a wireless printer so my husband can print things off, without sending stuff to my PC to print it off. My current HP deskjet printer is 12 yrs old and now runs very slowly now.

iqs 19:16 08 Mar 10

With the Epson SX515,you establish a wireless connection with the router first,then you install the printer drivers on each PC that will use the printer.

peter99co 22:35 08 Mar 10

Create a network between the Laptop and the PC and then set-up printer sharing. You just need to have the PC on when printing is reqd by the laptop.

peter99co 22:38 08 Mar 10

I just click PRINT on my laptop and the printer prints.

peter99co 22:45 08 Mar 10

mgmcc kindly posted this solution a while back. It cured my prob, so hope it helps:

Windows XP - Network Printer Setup
1) Connect the printer to the "client" PC, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

2) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". In the client's "My Network Places" (or Network Neighborhood), the printer should then appear as a shared resource of the "host" PC along with any shared folders. Double clicking the printer in the remote PC should automatically install it as a "network printer" in the "client". This means that the "client" now has the same printer installed twice - once as a "local" printer and again as a "network" printer (with a bar under the icon to indicate a network device). If you are always going to print via the network, you may want to set the "network printer" as the default.

Otherwise, have a look at this Microsoft article. It is an old article written for Windows 95, but the basic principle for installing the network printer should still be valid.

click here;en-us;141839

Windows Vista - Network Printer Setup
1) Connect the printer to the Vista "client" PC, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

2) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". Make a note of both the host PC's "Computer Name" and the printer's "Share Name".

3) In the Vista "client" PC, launch the "Add a Printer" wizard and select the "Add a local printer" option. This automatically opens a new dialog box in which to select the Port.

4) Click the "Create a new port" radio button and leave the drop-down menu options on the default of "Local Port". Click Next.

5) A small box opens in which to enter the Port Name. Type in the path to the "shared" printer in the host PC using the format \\computername\sharename where computername and sharename are the details you noted in (2) above.

6) Select the Printer driver from the list provided, which should include the driver you originally installed, otherwise use the "Have Disk" button to install the correct Vista driver if it is not in the list. It is essential that a Vista-compatible driver for your printer is used. Click Next.

7) Give the printer a name and choose whether to set it as the default. Click Next.

Print a test page to verify functionality and then click Finish.

sarahg123 10:19 09 Mar 10

Thanks for all your help - we'll try and set up a network and see if that is less cumbersome - but we still need to buy a new printer and really would like any recommnedations within budget.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…