Wireless printer Help needed

Dazza40 13:46 10 Jan 10

Hi all,

Have a Lexmark 1400 wireless printer connected to router and a laptop and desktop also connected wirelessly.

I'm sure that I have done something wrong as the printer was set up initially using the laptop and prints OK wirelessly.

From the desktop when I added a printer not connected I could only see the printer via MSHOME/laptop and while it prints if the laptop is off it doesn't if the laptop is off which defeats the whole object!

Printer sharing is on so I'm sure that I have done something daft so hope you can help?

Cheers

Dazza40 14:31 10 Jan 10

any thoughts?

karmgord 14:58 10 Jan 10

have you loaded the printer drivers on all computers, and directed the printer to print via a network TCIP/IP port NOT usb?

Woolwell 17:18 10 Jan 10

"From the desktop when I added a printer not connected I could only see the printer via MSHOME/laptop". This is where it probably started to go wrong. You should have found it through the router.

It should have its own IP address. You can find it by looking in the router. This needs to be set to permanent otherwise you will have future problems.

You need to install the drivers on the desktop and then set it to look for the IP address.

Dazza40 23:03 20 Jan 10

Thanks Woolwell,
I think you are right. I know how to find the printer's IP address on the router page. I have loaded the drivers on the pc so can you guide me how to:-
It should have its own IP address. You can find it by looking in the router. This needs to be set to permanent otherwise you will have future problems.

You need to install the drivers on the desktop and then set it to look for the IP address.

Thanks

Woolwell 23:57 20 Jan 10

I've just had a look at the manual for the 1400 series and it isn't that clear. I can see your problem.

It appears that you need to put the CD into your desktop and then follow the instructions remembering that this will be a network printer and not a local printer. You'll be looking for a printer on its own through MSHome it should have its won IP address. You should be able to find this out through your router's configuration pages.

This may help click here

Dazza40 13:25 23 Jan 10

Many thanks again Woolwell. As you say the manual is not clear but managed to get connected by amedning the config on the port re-entering the ip address of the printer.

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017