wireless printer connection

jon2 14:43 09 Dec 10

I am thinking of getting a wireless printer but my computer is not connected to the internet, what sort of connection will I need to use this type of printer. (Question asked on behalf of a friend)

interzone55 14:51 09 Dec 10

So the PC is standalone, with no network connection?

Any particular reason why you want a wireless printer then?

Basically the simplest thing to do is get a wireless dongle for the PC. The range on these is quite short, so if you're chosen dongle doesn't come with a desk stand get yourself a decent USB extension lead so you can put the dongle up high on a shelf.

Set up a Ad Hoc network with the dongle, instructions should be supplied. Attach the printer to the PC using USB so you can access the settings and set up the driver, then set the printer to recognise the Ad Hoc network.

Bod should then be your mother's brother.

Some printers are easier to set up than others. My HP was a doddle, but a friend's Lexmark was a nightmare...

jamesd1981 14:59 09 Dec 10

do you need a seperate dongle or wireless card to work with a wireless printer, i thought they would have come with there own receiver like a wireless deskset ?

bjh 15:01 09 Dec 10

The wireless printer will... the O.P.s computer may not, as it's not connected to the internet.

awest3 16:14 09 Dec 10

Correct me if I'm wrong but I did not think you needed a connection to the internet to be able to use a wireless printer. You simpley need a wireless card / dongle for the PC, the wireless printer will already be enabled with its own wireless device. You will need to set up the network software on the PC but thats about it..!!

I think..

Al

Woolwell 16:46 09 Dec 10

Wouldn't it be easier to buy a router and not connect it to the internet? Doesn't the printer have to get an IP address?

chub_tor 17:36 09 Dec 10

How to set up an ad-hoc network without a router click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac