Wireless Ping

At the moment we have two broadband connections to the house. Upstairs, for me and my sister we have a Blueyonder 750kbps that goes into a wired router and onto both PCs. My father has a BT connection downstairs supplied by his work that has a USB modem that connects directly into his laptop.

We are considering canceling the BT connection and upgrading the Blueyonder one and then having a wireless router so that my fathers laptop can connect to it.

My concern is that he plays Medal of Honor online very ofter and I suspect that when using the wireless connection, his ping to the router may increase significantly and cause lag in his games.
Would it be worth also having a cable that goes through the ceiling into his office downstairs that he could use when he wanted to play medal of honor and just use wireless when in other rooms for surfing the internet and e-mails or will the ping be ok still

Thanks, David

^^^ bump ^^^

MartinT-B 20:26 22 Jun 04

If he's going Wireless, make sure the router is at the highest point possible. There's a 'fountain effect' and although he will still get reception if the router is below, the connection will be better above.

I don't have a wireless conn here so I can't ping and tell you the results - sry. Hopefully someone else will be able to.

thanks MartinT-B. The router will be upstairs so hight should be OK

If anyone has a wireless router but dosen't know how to ping it go into command prompt / MS DOS and type "ping" (or whatever the IP address of the router is) I would be gratefull if you could tell me the response time

Thanks, David

fitshase 08:16 23 Jun 04

Just pinged my wireless router:-

Average round-trip takes 2 milli-seconds.

If you are worried about a speed drop - remember that broadband is up to 2 megabits per second in speed and a wireless router runs at up to 54 megabits per second. There should be no speed drop whilst using wireless over wired.

However, if everyone is using the net at the same time in your house downloading large files or playing online games at the same time then the bandwidth for your broadband line will be affected and the speeds will slow down for everyone in the house.

Hope this helps

fitshase 08:19 23 Jun 04

sorry, should clarify...

"There should be no speed drop whilst using wireless over wired." - this is for internet use and not for network use. If you were playing a game against eachother over a wired network (and not the internet) then it will run at 100 megabits per second. Over a wireless network it would run slower.

However, for speeds over the internet (i.e., downloading files, playing online games, etc.) there should be no difference between wireless and wired.

Also, the routers/wireless networks which run at 54 megabits per second are the 802.11g wireless networks. The 802.11b wireless networks run at 11 megabits per second which is still ample for broadband use.

thanks fitshase. If the response time is only 2ms then it should be ok for playing online :o)

We will go for the 802.11g and even though it's only 54Mbps, that is still way more than enough for any game played over a LAN

Thanks everyone, David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…