Wireless Peer to Peer network

PA28 20:49 18 Oct 04

Please can someone give me a simple walkthrough in setting up a peer to peer wireless network?

So far I have equipped 3 computers in our (smallish) house with wireless LAN cards and these can sometimes, but not often, identify the designated network with each detecting a (weak) signal. But that's about it. I can't get XPs Network Setup Wizard to do anything useful and the taskbar shows no network in range more often than not. I've been unsuccessful in getting access into either of the other computers, so I'm doing something fundamentally wrong, or leaving doors locked on each machine.

Networks are a pretty grey area to me at the moment (as you might have noticed!), so any help would be mucho appreciato.

easyrider 21:06 18 Oct 04

Try here click here

Dipso 21:20 18 Oct 04

Sorry, I can't give you a walkthrough 'cos I failed miserably at this myself so probably know less than you. I can however point you to a couple of articles which I came across during my attempt click here and click here

PA28 21:41 18 Oct 04

Maybe I'm missing something here but everything I read seems to refer to use of a hub. Do I need such an animal for wireless p2p, bearing in mind that any internet access will be done through an ADSL modem wired to one of the PCs?

I was working on the assumption that if each PC was equipped with a wireless LAN card that each would talk to each other, but have I got this wrong? I told you I was new to this networking game!

easyrider 21:45 18 Oct 04

Set both wireless cards to adhoc network if you add any more pc`s then you will need a hub or router as network will have to be set to infrastructure hope this helps.

Dipso 21:53 18 Oct 04

I don't think my first link mentions the use of a hub.

"...how to wirelessly network a second or third computer without the expense of a wireless router or a router and a stand-alone wireless access point (WAP). This is sometimes called an ad hoc wireless network."

PA28 22:10 18 Oct 04

No, you're right! I'm reading like mad now - thanks for these links. I'll post back how I get on. Did you ever get yours up and running?

Dipso 21:12 19 Oct 04

No, long story, laptop was faulty so I no longer have it, nothing to network LOL! Yeah, please post back and say how you go on. You can teach me when I get around to buying a replacement laptop!

PA28 19:48 20 Oct 04

Not good news here. This is tricky. Followed directions to the letter, but still they won't communicate. Wizards don't seem to work either. Did get laptop to connect to assigned workgroup and network - but the other two computers refused and said they were disconnected and can't find wireless network! This is driving me nuts. It's like back to the old days when everything had to be configured manually to get something to work rather than today's p&p age.

Anyone any tips for both of us??

easyrider 19:54 20 Oct 04

Just a thought how far apart are the computers and are there any stuctural walls between them?

PA28 13:55 21 Oct 04

Main computer and the laptop are in the same room - about 10 feet (in old money) apart. The other desktop is in my son's "playroom" - one structural and one non structural wall and a floor above. When the laptop is making contact with, apparently, itself - it's in the same place!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…