Wireless Peer to Peer

Granger 19:26 22 Jul 03

I have 2 identical laptops with wireless access. I know the hardware works because I use them at customer sites. But I can't get a peer-to-peer connection to work. I ran the wiz, specifying a network name, but in Preferred Networks both list just the name of one of the laptops. So one of them lists its own name.

I can go through the motions of connecting, and a bubble pops up saying its connected, but it's not. There is no non-Windows firewall. Someone told me to fix IPs, so I have, in the 192.168.0.x format, but still not working. Any ideas people?

fitshase 20:31 22 Jul 03

Just to cover the basics, have you set the wireless cards to peer-to-peer networking and not access point networking?

Regards

Fitshase

fitshase 20:32 22 Jul 03

you mention that, "There is no non-Windows firewall".

Have you disabled the windows firewall?

regards

Fitshase

Lozzy 20:40 22 Jul 03

click here This is an easy 1-2-3- step process to follow..

jazzypop 22:32 22 Jul 03

Have you ever had ZoneAlarm on either PC? Uninstalling it frequently leaves fragments that need to removed manually. See click here

Can you ping each PC from the other?

Are you running XP? If so, have you tried disabling the wireless zero-configuration service?

See also click here and click here

Granger 22:51 22 Jul 03

fitchase-
I did make the connection peer-to-peer under Wireless Connection Properties. But the SSID I created doesn't appear in the list of Preferred Networks. Windows firewall is disabled for this connection.

Lozzy-
Thanks for that link. I'm sure I did pretty much exactly what that guide said.

Jazzypop-
These laptops are pretty new (both Acer 803LCiB) and neither has had any non-Windows firewall at all. Both have Norton AV but that's it. I'm using WinXP Pro (fully updated) on both.

More info:
One of the laptops is also networked by crossover cable to a desktop in a client/host relationship. Both laptops also have Bluetooth, which connects fine, though I can't work out how to exchange data.

So: I seem to have followed the normal steps, except I ran the networking wizard first. I called the network ACERNET, made it peer-to-peer and disabled Windows firewall. One laptop is called ACER, the other is ACER2 (what an imagination I have). In the list of preferred networks, the only entry is ACER2 on both laptops. ACERNET is nowhere to be seen, so I can't even re-configure it.

I tried pulling out the crossover cable and disabling the Bluetooth device but it seems they are not the problem.

Have I given you guys enough of a challenge yet?

Granger 22:55 22 Jul 03

Have I done the wrong thing using the networking wizard? I ran it on ACER to create the network (MSHOME)with my desktop, and manually made sure it only used the wired LAN. Then I ran the wizard again on ACER to create another network (ACERNET) that only included the wireless connection. Should you not run the wizard for 2 separate networks on the same laptop?

Granger 22:57 22 Jul 03

I also clicked on Advanced in the Wireless Connection Properties, and chose "Computer-to-computer (ad hoc) networks only".

Granger 20:49 23 Jul 03

Come on, I can't have stumped you all.

jazzypop 22:37 23 Jul 03

If I understand correctly, you have two networks created between 3 PCs.

The first is an Ethernet network from a laptop to a desktop. The second is a WiFi network from the same laptop to a second laptop.

The simplest route would have been to use a router with either built-in wireless facilities, or a wireless access point connected to it. However, you have chosen the 'direct connection' route, so you need to enable bridging. This will 'join up' the two separate networks into a single one, and each PC will be able to see the other.

See click here and click here and click here for just some of the many sites that will explain how to do this. As always, Google will find even more for you.

Granger 14:50 24 Jul 03

You have understood the set-up, which is pretty impressive given my inept explanation. I'll have a look through these, but I think a trip to PC World is in order to look for the kit you suggest. I'll hold off ticking the box til I look through the links and have a go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…