wireless PCI card not recognised in Dell desktop

awest3 15:21 05 Jul 08

I decided to put a PCI wireless card into my dell dimension 5000, a dell insipron 530s has replaced it as number 1 and is connected to my router via cable. The dell does not seem to recognise the wireless card (I've tried two, both work on in my even older dell 4000). How do I make it recognise the card? (my wifes waiting to get onto the internet). I can't see anything in network connections regarding a wireless connection.

Thanks Al

Ditch999 15:28 05 Jul 08

Check in Device Manager to make sure it is there first.
Have you downloaded and installed the latest drivers?
What OS is it?

awest3 15:34 05 Jul 08

the card is quite new, all drivers appear to be there..OS is XP SP3.

Ditch999 15:47 05 Jul 08

In Device Manager under Properties for the card does Windows say "This device is working properly"?
Does your older machine that runs the card also have SP3 installed? If not, then SP3 could be your problem.

Ditch999 15:48 05 Jul 08

Whats the make n model of the PCI card?

awest3 16:41 05 Jul 08

sorry for not replying earlier been working on the 5000, As you suggessted I had a look in device manager....IEE1394, multimedia audio controller, Network controller and PCI input device all had the dreaded yellow marker against them and would not reinstall. I got the 'invalid data' msg when I tried. Looked it up on Google and got a solution..albeit somewhat convoluted and meant edioting the registry...however it all worked ok and drivers reloaded. Had to find a couple of dll's from service pack 3 but then all went well...rebooted and lo and behold I have a wireless connection immediately. Not sure how I got into this situation I only moved the PC from one room to another..but of course wanted a wireless connection rather than a wired one. Thanks for your help..ALl I've got to do now is find out why neither a wired keyboard/mouse or a new wireless setup won't work with it...it will only accept the original wireless keyboard and mouse...

Thanks again..Al

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…