wireless pc connecting to internet problem

jesta 12:56 20 Feb 05

i have 2 pc that is running a ethernet cable to a wireless router,both connected to the internet,i have a laptop that has a wireless card,i want this laptop to connect to the interenet thorugh wireless. how do i manage to do that?regards

FelixTCat 14:38 20 Feb 05

If you received a handbook with the router or the wireless card, either paper or on the CDs, look at them. They will be specific to your equipment. Set it up as the instructions say.

If you have trouble with that, come back to this forum.

jesta 14:56 20 Feb 05

hi,my wireless router did not have any useful information about working with wireless cards,and the wireless card came with my tiny laptop so i cant find any information.can anyone help me?

FelixTCat 15:29 20 Feb 05

OK.

It helps to set it up with the laptop beside the desktop and close to the wireless router.

First, make sure that both computers have the same workgroup name but different computer names. Go into the wireless router setup and make sure that wireless is enabled, SSID transmission is on, DHCP is on and WEP and any other encryption is off and MAC filtering is off.

Change the SSID (network identification name) to something that you will remember (like JESTA).

Then go to the laptop and start the card. It should find the wireless network automatically. If it doesn't, fire up its management software, set it for an infrastructure network and search.

Hover your mouse over the network connection on the taskbar. The tooltip should show the network name (SSID), speed, signal strength and status (Connected). Open the icon and it should confirm your connection.

You should now be connected to your router and the internet.

When you have done this, come back and tell us what happened. If it works, we will advise on security; if it doesn't, tell us in as much detail as possible what you saw.

jesta 15:43 20 Feb 05

i have just lent my laptop to my sister so she can use it in univeristy,i will have it back next week. i will try your solution and tell you how i got on next week.thanks for your help.i really appreciate it.
regards,
jesta

FelixTCat 17:13 20 Feb 05

You're welcome.

jesta 00:43 12 Mar 05

hi,finally got my laptop back,i have tried everything you said but still it doesnt work.when i hover of d image in d taskbar it says aquiring ip address,i dont really understand what this means.could this possible be why the wireless internet connecgtion is not working>?
regards

FelixTCat 08:54 12 Mar 05

That means that it has found a wireless network and is asking it to provide an IP address. Once it has that IP address, you will be away. It does sometimes take 2 or 3 minutes at first.

Does it show (in brackets) the name you gave the wireless network when you hover?

jesta 10:26 12 Mar 05

well,this is the only wireless pc so i named it jesta.on my router the ssid is also jesta but the other pc's are on a different network group. do all the pc have to be in the same network?if yes how do i do that?thanks for your help so far

FelixTCat 13:04 12 Mar 05

You haven't said if you have been able to get on the internet yet. You do not need any particular name for that - only if you want to network with the other pcs. Let's focus on the internet first.

jesta 13:36 12 Mar 05

oh sorry,forgot to say the laptop cannot go on the internet.so what do i do now?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…