Wireless NTL Broadband

mattq 13:08 02 Dec 03

I have broadband access with NTL and I link the set top box to my PC with a standard cat5 cable and it all works no problem.

I want to link the set top box to the pc wirelessly so that I can put the computer upstairs without the hassle of running the cat5 cable and drilling holes in walls etc.

Is this possible?

AndySD 16:09 02 Dec 03

Yes its relativley simple all you need is a wireless router and two wireless adapters. There are two standards to look at 802.11b and 802.11g its down to speed for the internet 11b is fast enough.

mattq 09:39 03 Dec 03

Thanks AndySD,

Would that mean I plug a wireless adaptor into the cable set top box, and the other into my pc? Is the router standalone then?

Would it be best to put the router half way between the cable box and the pc?

AndySD 11:18 03 Dec 03

Set top box---->Router------>wireless to PC's

Although mine is wired its the same. Depenging on your budget its better to get one with an installed firewall...but as a minimun look for WEP encription and MAC address filtering. Like click here= or click here= for example.

You then need a wireless card or usb connector for each PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…