Wireless NTL

B Brush 20:14 05 Oct 05

Hi everyone

My mother in law has recently signed up to NTL. When the bloke came she was a apprehensive to have wire running around the house from her set top box to the computer upstairs.

The bloke then told her about wireless and she though that this was better. He put her in touch with somebody but from what she told me the price seemed a bit high.

I told her I would have a look for a wireless setup for her. After looking I realised that I don't really know what I'm Looking for.

Do you need a different wireless router to connect to cable than you do to ASDL?

Will she need any other card in her PC?

It it easy to set up?

Is there anything else I wil need?

Have you any suggestions for any good deals around at the moment?

Thank you in anticipation

BB

VoG II 20:23 05 Oct 05

How about click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:23 05 Oct 05

ntl wireless pack click here
You get support for this

click here

B Brush 20:40 05 Oct 05

Thanks guys

The NTL package seems about the same as what shes been quoted.

The routers on maplins seem more reasonable. Would any of the ones shown on that page work? Would she need anything other than these to connect?

I noticed one has free wireless PC cards, is this something she will definatley need? She has only just bought the PC I don't think she would want to risk the waranty by opening it up an installing things. If so I may have to advise her to go with the wires.

More info would be appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:43 05 Oct 05

you can plug in a wireless dongle click here into a USB port

B Brush 20:56 05 Oct 05

Silly question probably.

Could I but a dongle from one place & it would work with a router from another, or do the have to come as a package, for frequency etc?

Also would the routers that are advertised as ADSL work on an NTL cable broadband connection or would I need the one that actually state cable?

mgmcc 21:07 05 Oct 05

<<<Could I but a dongle from one place & it would work with a router from another, or do the have to come as a package, for frequency etc?>>>

Although sourcing all hardware from the same stable will minimise the risk of compatibility issues, all 802.11b and 802.11g hardware *should* be compatible.

<<<Also would the routers that are advertised as ADSL work on an NTL cable broadband connection or would I need the one that actually state cable>>>

You MUST NOT buy a combined "Router/ADSL Modem", this is only suitable for use with ADSL broadband over the phone line.

You need a "stand-alone" router that connects by ethernet to the Cable Modem. These are often described as "Cable/DSL Routers", but don't confuse the reference to DSL with the combined router/modems.

B Brush 19:43 10 Oct 05

Cheers everybody

I have now ordered what I think we will need.

Just got to set it up now.

All the best
BB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…