Wireless not working but found instalation disc

birdface 21:23 17 Jun 09

Wireless not working on grandaughters computer but works on her sisters.
I have now found the Virgin wireless installation disk.
If I remove the wireless connections from the computer.Would it be Ok to install it again using the disc.
can anyone see me having more problems trying it that way.

Or could i install it over the original connection.

VoG II 21:26 17 Jun 09

One thing to check: is the laptop's wireless enabled - see this similar thread click here

In that case it was a function key - on others it is a slider switch somewhere on the beastie.

bremner 21:27 17 Jun 09

Is the wireless on the computer built in, through a PCI expansion card or a USB dongle.

If you are using XP or Vista you should not need any additional software for the first two.

birdface 21:45 17 Jun 09

Yes I should have said the laptop has a switch that you turn on for Wireless connection.using Virginmedia cable and vista standard.
it will not pick up any wireless signals anymore and the HP Wireless assistant does not work.

birdface 21:53 17 Jun 09

Her sisters laptop is like that you have to press fn and press the F1 button.But this one has a slider on the front that you shift to turn the Wireless on.Used to get a wilan pop up asking to turn it on but can't seem to get that any more.

so the possabilities are that it is not turned on and that may be what the problem is.

phono 22:01 17 Jun 09

Check in device manager to see if the WLAN network adaptor is showing any faults or conflicts and that it is in fact enabled.

birdface 22:07 17 Jun 09

well begger me.I have been trying to get the wireless connection to work for 2 days without any luck and just looked down and low and behold the blue light is on and the wireless connection is back.
I just finished a scan with A squared and deleted a coolwebsearch problem.So not sure if that was the problem or not.
It has done this before so not building my hopes up.But you never know.

Thank for your help.I will leave this open for another 24 hours to see if I get the problem back again or not.

birdface 22:16 17 Jun 09

No just checked everything is Ok on there.No problem with the WLAN network adaptor

birdface 22:19 17 Jun 09

no problem with the connection.just had a look.

birdface 22:51 17 Jun 09

can only think that it was coolwebsearch that was stopping it.Just rebooted and WLAn came up straight away and said connected.I am sure i removed that last week with malwarebytes.So running another scan to see if it has returned.

phono 22:57 17 Jun 09

If you suspect coolwebsearch to be involved download CWShredder from click here install and run it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…