Wireless to no wireless

chindo77 11:13 15 Mar 08

Hi there
I have a belkin router and network adapter. I set it all up and worked fine. Then i had to re-use my passphrase to let my work laptop access the network and connection. I had the wrong password and had to reset my router and reconfigure my whole set up.Set it all up again but when logging on to internet my whole pc just froze and had to be restarted by the power button.the connection was there and the first page tried to load but after a few seconds it froze. now i have the router wired to my pc and cable to the phone point. most of the internet works but i cant access hotmail or microsoft site.hotmail loads a blank page on the log in page and takes a long time to do it. There is no page loaded with errors, it just says done but is blank. Mircorsoft site just doesnt load at all. i have tried browsers, mozilla and netscape and no joy.i dont know what to do now. i can either live a cabled connection that half works or a wireless one that freezes my pc. the funny thing is when i have it wireless my work laptop connects fine and hs no problems at all. i thought it might be scripting settings on the browser, as i ran some free online tests and it failed but i dont know how accurate they are. Also when it wireless i thought the network adapter may not be working correctly.Anyway i am at a loss..any help will be gratefully received!

Tech Guy 12:36 15 Mar 08

Why don't you use the restore function - to say a week before it went belly up.

chindo77 12:39 15 Mar 08

..i have just fixed it. it was the WAN setting on my router.. it was PPoE and needed to be PPopA for virgin.net:)

thanks

Tech Guy 12:51 15 Mar 08

Write down all the settings from the router and put in a safe place. And when next time comes, and it will, just refer to them settings - just a thought

chindo77 19:26 17 Mar 08

Hi again...just a follow up to this. my internet connection speed is 100mbps but through the router its only 54mbps. im thinking of upgrading my connection via my isp to 800mps...will this make any difference as my router only allows 54? Can I make my router give a speedier connection or will it mean new router?

thanks

Ashrich 22:02 17 Mar 08

The 100mbps is the connection from the ethernet port to the router , not to the Internet . 54mbps will be better than any internet speed available at the moment , the extra speed your ISP may offer will probably be 8mbps , Be/O2 are about the fastest via a phoneline at up to 24mbps , Virgin are trialling up to 50mbps .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…